Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does anyone else have fear of

Power Poster
    Not at all.

Blog Entries
    I love cutting with the rotary cutter. When I don't have time to sew but need to get all touchy-feely with my fabric I cut squares for I Spy quilts. I find the cutting process rather soothing, actually.

I love my rotary cutter also. The best advice I could give is to TAKE YOUR TIME and pay strict attention to what you are doing. Once you and your cutter develop a relationship and you trust each other you, too, will love your rotary cutter. Its a wonderful tool ... you just need to have a healthy respect for its power.

Also, be sure to use the same ruler to cut an entire quilt. Surprisingly, rulers sometimes differ slightly in measurement, and just that slight difference could throw your quilt off.

I did for a little while. I was down to just one stick type rotary cutter and I do much better with the ergo dynamic ones where the blade is lower instead of on the end of a stick.

My solution to "rotary cutter fear" is to use one of those suction cup handles on my ruler. It keeps your hand totally out of danger and also applies even pressure on the fabric keeping that last bit from moving when you get to the end of your cut. I purchased mine at Harbor Freight for about 6 dollars, much better than the ones at the LQS.

I was one of those emergency room casualties. I still sometimes cringe when I pick my rotary cutter up but wouldn't give it up. I like to think it has made be more respectful of a great but dangerous tool.

Blog Entries
    I have a fear more of running out of my scraps to use the rotary cutter on.. I think its patience, and practice that provides ease into using the tool.. You can do it, you can do it.. I think I can, I think I can... oh oh, been around my 3 year old grandson to much this weekend, hehe.. :-D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2