Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone have a HQ Sweet Sixteen sitdown quilting machine? >

Does anyone have a HQ Sweet Sixteen sitdown quilting machine?

Does anyone have a HQ Sweet Sixteen sitdown quilting machine?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Does anyone have a HQ Sweet Sixteen sitdown quilting machine?

I am thinking about purchasing one of these machines and would appreciate feedback from anyone who might own one of these machines. I currenty quilt on my Elna sewing machine, but would love to be able to do larger quilts. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 AM

Molly, I don't have any experience with the HQ Sweet Sixteen, but I'm curious as to what model Elna you have and how large a quilt you have done on it.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:18 AM

There have been lots of posts on this if you do a search using the search feature, you can read up on it.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM

I looked at the HQ Sweet 16, but I was convinced I wanted a longarm machine with a frame. Wish I had thought about that more. Every review from Sweet 16 owners that I've read has been favorable. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I just got mine and I know that she and I will become great friends. So far I have only practiced a little but it already feels so much easier than previous FMQ experiences. I got IKEA cabinets (for extra storage) as extensions on one side and still need to pick up an extension for the other side. Decided to go with the TruStitch for the fancier designs and it came by UPS TODAY as did my 20 large spools of thread from the current promo. Yes, it is a lot of money - but I decided that I am worth it and I am tired of tight shoulders from maneuvering a quilt through the sewing machine.

Did you know that there is a HQ_sit_down yahoo group? You can get lots of info there.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM

The thing I like best about my mid-arm is the frame. You don't have to worry about the basting of the top and the bottom, so I'm thinking I wouldn't be real happy with that set-up.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:35 PM

There was another thread about this yesterday that you may want to read. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t195120.html

What is a mid-arm? Is it a smaller version of long-arm?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Elna sewing machine

Originally Posted by King's Daughter View Post
Molly, I don't have any experience with the HQ Sweet Sixteen, but I'm curious as to what model Elna you have and how large a quilt you have done on it.
I have an Elna 6003 Quilters Dream which I purchased ten years. I just recently got back into quilting and decided to try free motion which I really enjoy. The quilts I have done so far are lap size and I would like to make a king size which I know will be next to impossible to quilt on with my machine because of the size, and that is why I am thinking about a different machine for the quilting.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info...good luck with your machine!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:27 PM

I've been lucky enough to test drive one, and I have to say, I want one!! But doing some research, I found http://www.sunshine16.com/TakeIt.html which is more in my budget. I haven't found any dealers, and I emailed the website and Nancy said there aren't any in my area. However, all I've found about the sunshine is favorable. I'm saving up for it.
That having been said, you can quilt your king on your regular sewing machine! Um, there's all kinds of free info on the web on how to do that, but I learned a lot on a Craftsy course that was $20.
Good luck!