Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone not do large quilts because >

Does anyone not do large quilts because

Does anyone not do large quilts because

Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mswordwiz
I learned make the top, send to long arm lady.....
Ditto. Like the song says, "I quilt by check"! LOL Life is too short to wrestle a big quilt through the throat of a regular machine.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Dee

Great sites. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM

I have a quilt on my bed large King size, finished it on my Bernina 440 before I got the new 830. I did it in 3 pieces. I did the center then added the batting and the backing , then did the 18 " edges and the bottom part, not that hard to do

HPIM2583
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90819[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90814.jpe  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 AM

Wow what a beautiful quilt. I wish I could do some thing like that. When you break it up into sections I find it a lot easier to handle. Well done Campbell34. I see you took the photo at 9.02 in the morning. Your clock on the bedside table is showing that.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:01 AM

I usually only make 3 different sizes, crib, queen and king. I've taken a class at the local quilt shop, so now I can rent her long arm and get them quilted.
KathyM
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 AM

I quilt my own either hand quilt or machine quilt. I usually to the meandering as I'm not good at doing designs. I make full & queen size and if you do it in sections it works out fine. I have done one king quilt and that was more of a challenge. I will do stitch in ditch or meander. I can't afford to send mine out to have them quilted. I can make another quilt top for what is charged.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:53 PM

You are so observant.Made me laugh out loud.I was so happy that I had finished that quilt for my husband , He loves it ,My husband has never had a quilt made just for him, We have been married for 6 years now, I was married to first husband 53 years, then lost him to cancer, Hubby lost his wife to cancer also, We bought the material at a quilt store in Shawnee Okla.on a trip to see a friend , Took me a year to make it but it was fairly easy to quilt ,used cashmere wool batting , very light and washable, close out from Walmart less than $10.00 for two battings , felt like I stole it for that price, :thumbup:
Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM

I prefer only bed size quilts, however my sister in law would like a quilt to watch television in her wreck room, so I think that I am going to make one that is large enough for her to use as a cuddle quilt as well as a bed quilt for her pull out couch! Any thoughts on that?

Tree Frog
Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM

I haven't read all the posts, but would you have any problem with having it machine quilted by someone else? I know that some people quilt bed size quilts on their home machine, but that would be hard for me to handle. If they do a pantograph and not speciality quilting, it is reasonable and I have had some that I just love. It isn't overly quilted and doesn't take away from the top.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 AM

I love the big ones too but haven't tackled one yet because they ARE so big. This board is so encouraging though so I'm gonna try!
Originally Posted by raptureready
Nope, as hard as they are to finish I do big ones because I think most smaller things are useless. I like to do QAYG or strip quilting, sometimes (especially for couch throws) I like to tie them.

I apologize to all the wall hanging, table runner, quilted artworks, etc., creators out there. They're beautiful and if that's what you enjoy that's fine with me, I just prefer making bed quilts.