Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone out there use a steam generator iron? >

Does anyone out there use a steam generator iron?

Does anyone out there use a steam generator iron?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 AM

My old iron was driving me crazy with the auto shut off feature when I was quilting. My SIL is a seamstress and uses a steam generator iron for sewing garments. She recommended that I get one when my old iron gave up. Well, I gave up on the iron before it gave up on me! I bought a "Monster" steam generator iron from our Shopping Channel here in Canada. What a machine!!!! You can turn the steam off and the iron plate stays hot for piecing. When you want to steam the final quilt top to set the seams, WOW!! It works so quickly and those seams are perfectly flat when you are done. I also use steam to press my fabrics when I prewash them (and I prewash all my quilting fabrics) I just wondered if anyone else out there uses one. I have seem loads of posts on irons, but nothing on the steam generator ones. BTW, it was the "special of the day" and I paid $78 for it. Score!!!! My SIL's is a professional model and was $400!!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm not sure what a 'steam generator iron' is but I have a cheapy $9 from Dollar General that I love. It, too, has a button to turn the steam off or turn it on. I like a rather small light wieght iron and this one fits the bill. I've used it for a year now, it's been dropped several times and still works like a dream.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010
My old iron was driving me crazy with the auto shut off feature when I was quilting. My SIL is a seamstress and uses a steam generator iron for sewing garments. She recommended that I get one when my old iron gave up. Well, I gave up on the iron before it gave up on me! I bought a "Monster" steam generator iron from our Shopping Channel here in Canada. What a machine!!!! You can turn the steam off and the iron plate stays hot for piecing. When you want to steam the final quilt top to set the seams, WOW!! It works so quickly and those seams are perfectly flat when you are done. I also use steam to press my fabrics when I prewash them (and I prewash all my quilting fabrics) I just wondered if anyone else out there uses one. I have seem loads of posts on irons, but nothing on the steam generator ones. BTW, it was the "special of the day" and I paid $78 for it. Score!!!! My SIL's is a professional model and was $400!!
I had a Rowenta Steam Generator for when I did window treatments and loved it. But it started leaking and I couldn't risk using it for customer's drapes. I contacted Rowenta, and the reply I got was that if I used it every day I wouldn't have any problem with it. That made up my mind very quickly to never have another Rowenta product. I do miss having it for large projects, but leaking and spitting won't work any better in quilting than in window treatment construction.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I'm not sure what a 'steam generator iron' is but I have a cheapy $9 from Dollar General that I love. It, too, has a button to turn the steam off or turn it on. I like a rather small light wieght iron and this one fits the bill. I've used it for a year now, it's been dropped several times and still works like a dream.
A steam generator has a large tank that holds the water and a hose that attaches to the iron that sends the steam. They are great for large projects.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
A steam generator iron has a separate water tank that produces steam which is pressurized. The iron is attached with a long "hose" that the steam passes through when you push the steam button on the handle of the iron. So you get an unbelievable amount of steam and the iron itself is quite lightweight as there is no water in it. I'm trying to attach a picture for you, but haven't done that before so I hope it works!

It worked! So the iron sits on top of the tank when you aren't using it. It is amazing. And no more auto-off feature!!

steam generator iron
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159434[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159429.jpe  
Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 AM

I love my Rowenta steam generator.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:10 PM

I bought a Rowenta Steam Generator several years ago and have never used it! Before I bought it tho, I researched my particular model and got really good reviews on it. One of these days I'm going to give it a try. (After my regular iron dies probably!)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 PM

I have a EuroPro Steam Generator. Cost me around $110. been using it for 12 years, works perfectly. Its also wonderful to hang clothes and steam vertically before you wear them.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Oh Melinda, try it!!! You'll never go back to your old iron!!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 PM

I have a Pressure Iron & Steamer. It is a Rowenta, a brand in which I do not have a lot of faith. I believe it works the same way as yours and I like everything about it, including the 12-ft. electrical cord and the 6-ft. steam cord/hose. At all times, whether in use or not, it sits on top of an empty stereo cabinet. As well as having wheels/rolling capability, the cabinet is the perfect height, width, & depth.