Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone own EQ8 Mac version? >

Does anyone own EQ8 Mac version?

Does anyone own EQ8 Mac version?

Old 01-01-2021, 05:35 PM

Default Does anyone own EQ8 Mac version?

I am thinking about purchasing this program. I have not seen any feedback on using the MAC version. I am afraid if I purchase it, the information online will not help me. Any thoughts?

Lori
Old 01-01-2021, 05:45 PM

I have eq7 for mac .... I had it on windows, then when they came out with the mac version, I upgraded. It's not much different on a mac. I never had any issues, although I haven't used all the features. Don't know anything about eq8 specifically, though.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:01 PM

I have EQ8 for Mac. It works fine. I’ve not had any problems with it. It’s a fun program.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:38 PM

I have it. What questions do you have?

By the way. EQ support is excellent.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:58 PM

Is there a learning curve? Will I be able to follow along with the YouTube videos that are being used on windows? Do you like it? Also, I see it on Amazon for 169.00 and on the actual site for 239. Where did you buy yours? Is the beginner book necessary?

TIA
Lori
Old 01-03-2021, 11:55 AM

My answers are in purple. 😉

Originally Posted by QuiltingfeverinNC View Post
Is there a learning curve?
I started with 6 and have upgraded every edition. 6 to 7 was an easy migration, 7 to 8 was a little more of a challenge, they changed the interface a bit, and moved things around. However, once I got used to it, I find 8 easier to use.

Will I be able to follow along with the YouTube videos that are being used on windows?
Not sure, I've never watched any videos. I suspect the Windows version is very similar, if not identical, to the Mac version, though. I think it would be counter-productive for EQ to produce one product that operates in 2 different ways, they'd have to write 2 different user manuals, etc. Maybe someone else could weigh in and confirm this.

Do you like it?
I love it! I use it for so many things. I use it to help me envision what my quilt would look like - I swap around the block sizes, the colors, add sashing, delete sashing, try out different borders, etc. It tells me how much fabric I'll need, gives me rotary cutting sizes, if I'd rather paper-piece the block, I can print out that pattern. It does NOT tell you how to piece and assemble the top, though, you have to already know that or be able to figure it out for yourself. I like to play with it in the evenings while sitting with my hubs watching tv. I also like to try to design other people's quilts I see (reverse engineer). I think doing that makes me a better piecer.

Also, I see it on Amazon for 169.00 and on the actual site for 239. Where did you buy yours?
I bought mine directly from EQ, and if you already own a previous version, they give you an "upgrade" price - you get the full stand-alone software at a reduced rate. I don't know anything about the Amazon product, but I'd be careful who you're actually buying it from. One of the reviews said she was sold a used product and there were no more activations available for the software. However, EQ has EXCELLENT customer service and support. I purchased a used copy for my mom from my friend (can't remember if it was 6 or 7) and they helped me get it activated and set up for her. It might be a good idea to call EQ and ask them "If I bought a used copy of the software, would you help me get it set up and activated?"

Is the beginner book necessary?
Honestly I don't know. If you learn well on your own, just playing around in the software, you might not need it. I didn't, because I just goofed off and clicked on things saying "hmmm, what does this do", etc. When I wanted to learn how to do something specific, I looked it up in the user manual. If you like a bit more structure than me, the beginner book would probably be a good idea.😆

Old 01-03-2021, 12:20 PM

Thank you so much for your thorough reply. I agree that if I’m going to get it I should probably get it straight from the site. There sale is over at midnight so I suppose I better decide. Lol

Lori