Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: does anyone own this machine?

Kenmore Computerized Sewing Machine With 110 Stitch Functions

if so what's your thoughts on it? is is sturdy or cheap plastic? Its alot like my brother csi6000 which I WILL NOT BUY AGAIN. Two machines . both lasted 3 yrs then started messing up. I'm using my older Kenmore, but would like to save for a newer one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    If you read on the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop thread, there are many, many vintage machines that do most of what the newer machines do and are much more reliable. They are made of all metal, no plastic, which is what goes wrong in the newer machines.

A Singer 500 series has all the decorative stitches, etc. that you are getting on these machines you are showing. And they run forever!!

I happen to love Kenmore machines, I have model 19233 which is made by Janome as all Kenmore's are. However, rumor has it, that Sears/Kenmore will not be selling sewing machines anymore. Not sure why but it seems they are going to selling Brother, Singer etc, but not their own brand anymore.

Oh? The machine I'm using now is a 30 yr old Kenmore. Its all metal. I love it, but ya know, maybe I'll just forget a new one and use this one. Here's my baby
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    How often do you clean your machine? I delint mine at every bobbin change. It really makes a difference on how your machine works. I have a 'cheap' Brother, a Singer emb. machine, a Bernina and several vintage Singers. They all mess up when they are linty and need cleaning.

I refuse to buy another Brother. After buying 2 of the same one and at 3 yrs they freak out.... No thank you. NO WAY! The repair guy at Viking sew shop here in town told me my brother was a piece of crap cuz its all plastic, and break down easy, He did say Kenmore was one of the best. I didn't know Janome made Kenmore. I always thought Sears. thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Amythyst02
    I happen to love Kenmore machines, I have model 19233 which is made by Janome as all Kenmore's are. However, rumor has it, that Sears/Kenmore will not be selling sewing machines anymore. Not sure why but it seems they are going to selling Brother, Singer etc, but not their own brand anymore.

I'm kinda partial to Kenmores myself. My friend was a gift to me on my 18th birthday. I don't know about the new ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Boopers
    How often do you clean your machine? I delint mine at every bobbin change. It really makes a difference on how your machine works. I have a 'cheap' Brother, a Singer emb. machine, a Bernina and several vintage Singers. They all mess up when they are linty and need cleaning.
    I keep a can of air near by and use it often to keep it lint free

Blog Entries
    That looks very similar to my Janome Jem Platinum. If that's what it compares to, it's a great machine. It is lightweight, so it's perfect for taking to classes. I do just about everything on that machine. The only thing it doesn't like is really heavy thick seams. Otherwise it does everything else. If it sells for $500 or less, it's a great machine in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA
    It is not recommended to use canned air on computerized machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    It is not recommended to use canned air on computerized machines.
    Oh???? I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know

The Kenmore pic that is being displayed is made by Janome. I have this same machine and I really like it. I have used the heart decorative stitch many times and the satin/blanket stitch is great. This machine also has the automatic needle threader and it works great. I got mine used it is similar to the Janome DC 2008, 2010 and 2011. It isn't picky about thread. It is my class machine with my Janome 2007 DCLE being my primary.You cannot go wrong with Janome technology.

Oh? The machine I'm using now is a 30 yr old Kenmore. Its all metal. I love it, but ya know, maybe I'll just forget a new one and use this one. Here's my baby
    it looks like you have alot of stitches on there! how many does it do? I would just use that one. The computerized ones just give you one more thing that can break on your machine.

I have had 2 kenmore machines. Never had any problems with either of them. I bought a new machine to replace each one because I wanted some of the features of the newer ones. My current machine is a Janome Horizon, model 7700, I would recommend this machine to everyone.

HI, I recently purchased that very machine! I have an older Kenmore I bought back in 76 or so. Been having trouble with the tension - decided I needed a new machine :)
    I knew Janome made Kenmore. I was looking at a Janome then saw this Kenmore. It is very close to the Janome I was eyeing but was about $100 cheaper. I really like mine.

Blog Entries
    That looks just like my Janome HT2008. I love my machine! The only difference between the Janome and Kenmore is price. I paid over $400 for my machine 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tealady
    HI, I recently purchased that very machine! I have an older Kenmore I bought back in 76 or so. Been having trouble with the tension - decided I needed a new machine :)
    I knew Janome made Kenmore. I was looking at a Janome then saw this Kenmore. It is very close to the Janome I was eyeing but was about $100 cheaper. I really like mine.

Janome does NOT make Kenmore. Kenmore is a Sears brand. Janome and Kenmores are made at the same factory and to similiar specs....but they aren't the same company.

if so what's your thoughts on it? is is sturdy or cheap plastic? Its alot like my brother csi6000 which I WILL NOT BUY AGAIN. Two machines . both lasted 3 yrs then started messing up. I'm using my older Kenmore, but would like to save for a newer one.
    I do. I don't have any problems with it at all, but I haven't ever tried FMQ. I plan to sometime though. I've had mine for probably 4 years or maybe 5. It is sturdy, but is plastic of course.

ALSO it is exactly like the Janome in the same class. The only difference is the name on it. Right down to the turtle and the rabbit for stitching speed.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace

Janome does NOT make Kenmore. Kenmore is a Sears brand. Janome and Kenmores are made at the same factory and to similiar specs....but they aren't the same company.
    So, in other words, they are both badged machines. Made by a totally seperate company for both Kenmore and Janome. My mom used to work at a factory that made oxford shirts. Some got the JcPenny logo, some got the Arrow logo and so on. Really eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace

So, in other words, they are both badged machines. Made by a totally seperate company for both Kenmore and Janome. My mom used to work at a factory that made oxford shirts. Some got the JcPenny logo, some got the Arrow logo and so on. Really eye opening.
    Pretty much. Really the differences lie in the company who will be providing customer support, warranty service etc. :>

I have an old Kenmore 10 Stitch that my mom patched a lot of jeans with and we both sewed with decades ago. It's not fancy, but it still works.

The Kenomre you show and the Janome DC 2010 are virtually the same machine and share the same manufacturer. I have the DC 2010's in my classroom. Never had a problem so I don't think you could go wrong with the Kenmore.

I own all 3 - Brother, Kenmore and Janome. Have always had good luck with them. The CS6000i's, I've heard, are either great or have problems, guess it's just the luck of the draw.

I LOVE the Kenmore 158, and they are not hard to find---great old vintage machine--a real workhorse and LOTS of stitches if you get all the cams--I have 30!

Blog Entries
    There are two types of Brothers. One group is made for discount stores and one is made for high end shops. You won't find a low quality Brother at a dealer. They have to service and guarantee the machines sold by a dealer. The high end Kenmores are great machines. Many members of my guild have them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast