Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone own a Viking "Mega Quilter"? >

Does anyone own a Viking "Mega Quilter"?

Does anyone own a Viking "Mega Quilter"?

Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM

I have the machine you are talking about. It has a stitch regulator on it and there is a extra throat plate that you use for the free motion. If it is not on the machine it should be in with the extra foots and tools box. I also have the quilting frame, it is not so good. I am considering getting a better built one. I free motion on the frame. Make sure the small plate is in place before you free motion. It goes over the regular face plate. Remember you have a small area to quilt in and the larger the quilt the smaller the area gets as you quilt.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:34 PM

I've had mine for about 6 mos. I have it on a HQ frame. I great to learn on - I hope to get a Longarm someday. I think it's a great machine, I've had not problems of any kind.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 AM

this machine is great w/free motion quilting and comes w/the foot. it also has the needle up/down and cutting stitch which I love. very easy machine to use.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 AM

[quote=Twilliebee]OOOPS! Sorry! Forgot to put the link in: http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resquib3/index.html[/don't buy the singer. I have it and it has been in the shop 4 times in 14 months.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 AM

We have the Pfaff equivalent (1200 GrandQuilter), we and quilt all of our quilts with it. We have the stitch regulator, the Imperial frame, and the Q-bot (which we don't use). We have had some thread breakage issues, but after numerous trips to the shop and questions to members of this board, we think we have resolved all the issues that led to the breakage.

This machine is a great way to enter into the frame quilting world at a more affordable price. The tradeoff is the relatively small throat space.

The bottom line is, don't let the thread breakage issues keep you from buying this machine. If you can afford this and not a full-size LA, this is a great alternative.

Darren
Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 AM

with the mega quilter viking recommends the aurofil thread and I have had no problems with it breaking on any of my machines.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:00 PM

I have the Mega quilter and like it . it doesfree motiom quilting. basicly it is all I do I'm still getting use to the machine. I have done about ten quilts on it so far. I have Parkinson so everything goes a little slower for me. but i get the job done.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
QKO

Cindy has one and it's now her main machine for piecing and FMQ. No frame. She loves it, no problems with it and it is a real fine machine.

She hasn't had any problems at all with thread breakage, but she exclusively uses Aurifil thread, and has for many years.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 AM

I have the mega quilter and I like it, do not have the frame don't have the room and I really can't afford it. I think I would do better at quilting if I had the frame but what is is. I have done about ten quilts on it so far.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM

I have the Mega Quilter and frame, I really like it and I have not had any problems with thread breaking. I bought mine at Joann's 2 years ago when they a had sale.