Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone recognize this pattern? >

Does anyone recognize this pattern?

Does anyone recognize this pattern?

Old 06-09-2022, 01:13 PM

Default Does anyone recognize this pattern?

I have been tasked with finishing or revamping a partially finished top, that was gifted to the guild. I believe that it was a BOM medallion pattern but have had no luck with Mr. Google. I have no idea of its age. There is a center medallion unit that measures 32"x48". There are 12 -12 inch blocks. There are also 4 more log cabin blocks and two pieces that look like irish chain. Plus I have some pieced strips that look like borders but their lengths do not match anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The colours are much more vibrant than in the picture and the blocks are well made for the most part. I would love to finish this because I think it would bring great happiness to someone.
Attached Thumbnails img_1504-small-.jpg   img_1505.jpg  
Old 06-09-2022, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

*waves* Hello, up "north" to GingerK!
Whether you find out the origins, I know you will put it together in good fashion. You are ever-so talented in that way.

I don't have a direct answer. Are the same fabrics used throughout? Do they have the look of somewhat recent fabrics? Were you lucky enough to also get some of the yardages remaining? Or are you faced with the task of finding an appropriate go-with(s)?

Would it be a shop hop quilt? Not one of the July Shop Hop ones. Didn't the In the Hills Hop (or one of our other somewhat local ones) do a black background pre-covid? I didn't go on the hop, but seem to remember seeing black in the lead up. I'm thinking it was Creekside's emails, so maybe an email to them?

Another possibility, could the original quilter have chosen some fabrics and set at making blocks. However that centre medallion looks so planned for, that I bet that at least it was from a set pattern. Maybe out of a magazine?

Looking at the centre medallion size, what about finishing it off as a crib quilt. Yes, black but some seem to like it for their babes now! Then use your other blocks for a go-with play/tummy/floor quilt, or adult's lap quilt. I am thinking they could be the same size. Yes? No?

Good Luck ... Looking forward to seeing what wonders you create with these!

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-09-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Will the center medalian fit in the center of the blocks you have arranged,( if you took out the card trick and hash tag blocks?) I like the arrangement of the blocks .
Old 06-09-2022, 02:40 PM

Hey QuiltE, nice to see you back. My fellow guild members have attended many of the local ShopHops over the years and no one suggested that. Shall do a little more investigating. The fabrics are consistent through the blocks and in my opinion, quite current. I believe the black background is Grunge. But no extra yardage was included. I shall need to raid my (or the guild's) stash.

Tartan, I just slapped those blocks on the design wall, with no rhyme or reason. Just wanted to show all the blocks. The colours and patterns do go together well. It has been suggested, to make a single bed top out of the blocks and then use the medallion part for something else.

I just wish I could find a picture of the original project. Hoping not to drive myself crazy over this!!
Old 06-09-2022, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

If not important I would put the medallion together in the center and arrange into whatever pleases me.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:33 PM

I would try putting the irish chains in the center of each side to finish an on point look. then the log cabin blocks in each corner to finish the edges. From there, decide if that is finished "enough" or if the other blocks work to make a border around the whole thing.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

The more I look at the medallion, the more I want to see some colourful FMQ threads on the dark. Would take away the darkness of the mottled black areas. Yes, I had wondered if I was seeing grunge.

Maybe the black quilt was not a hop, but maybe it was all Creekbank and their own BOM? Or maybe my mind is just totally bananas!!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-09-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

The blocks and fabrics remind me of the Amish With a Twist series of quilts that Nancy Rink designed. They were sold as kits on Bluprint/Craftsy. But I looked at her site and didn't see that pattern listed. Perhaps she designed another pattern for a magazine?
Old 06-10-2022, 05:03 AM

Well! The QB has come through once again! Thriftyavalon sent me a PM with the exact information that I needed. The pattern was a BOM but from 2008!! The name of the pattern is Kaleidoscope of Kolor by Quilt Connection. Here's a link to a picture. https://fabricsplus.wordpress.com/20...cope-of-kolor/

Thank you so much thriftyavalon! You rock!
Old 06-10-2022, 05:14 AM

Oops! Here's a more accurate pic. The original pattern did not have the stars in the border, as far as I can determine. https://alwaysquiltingonline.com/cgi...doscopeofkolor

Thriftyavalon, if you would like to post a pic of yours, make sure the file is small enough and go all the way to the right of the 'manage attachments' screen to hit the upload icon.