Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone remember? >

Does anyone remember?

Does anyone remember?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 AM

I remember that funny little machine-loved to watch the arrow spin around when my mom would yards and yards and yards of fabric-miss those machines.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:44 AM

The article said it weighted 12 pounds! Thanks for the memory.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:50 AM

I have no idea what it is called, but I remember seeing it being used.
Sally
Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 AM

I'm "only" 65 but I remember those machines; we had one in the local "Mercantile" store; that I guess was a lot like a Woolworth's.......too, I remember the ladies tearing the fabric and still love the sound of fabric being torn ! Years later we had a local shopping center with a real fabric store and they had the machines there also !

Too, at that time my foster mother made all my clothes on a little black Singer and that is the machine I learned to sew on. After her death the machine took missing and I always wished for it. A few months back I was at a yard sale in a rather upscale area of my little town and mentioned to homeowner that I really was looking for old sewing machines; she mentioned that she had her mother's old machine and would sell it to me for $25........I ran to my car to get money and she brought the machine out. LO AND BEHOLD IT WAS A SINGER FEATHERWEIGHT ! I quickly paid that woman the $25 and got the machine and as I was driving away I was crying......finally, I had my little Singer machine ! I love that little buddy like you wouldn't believe. It sews perfectly ! My biggest concern was that I had paid with a check and the seller then knew my address and I was afraid she'd show up for the machine back; one the check cleared I was ok !
Old 01-27-2012, 05:00 AM

I remember! I can't tell you how much fabric I saw my grandmother have cut for her like that.

Great memories!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Just read a thread about cutting -vs- ripping fabric. Had a flashback after reading it. Our local 5 & 10 cent store had fabric in the basement. The way they measured it was to pull the fabric through this metal gizmo that was attached toand elevated a little above the counter. On the top of the gizmo was a gauge with numbered increments and a hand on it similar to a clock. The hand would spin and tell the clerk how much fabric had passed through it. When she got to the yardage requested, she'd pull down a lever that notched the fabric. If memory serves me right, she would either rip the fabric if it was light weight cotton, or use scissors if she was dealing with corduroy or the heavier fabrics.

Does any one else remember this? Any idea of what the gizmo was called?
I remember those. My aunt had one in the fabric dept of their general merchandise store. And I do remember the clerk tearing some fabrics and cutting some.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 AM

I remember..it was at the Roses 5 &10 store in our town...
Old 01-27-2012, 05:09 AM

OMG...I had forgotten about those, but after seeing it I remember now.....and I was just a kid too!!!! LOL
Old 01-27-2012, 05:17 AM

Yes I remember it but don't know if it had a name.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by cheaha39 View Post
OK, while we are remembering, do you remember that the salesgirl put you cash and the hand witten sales slip in a vacumn tube. The tube made a scary noise, when she opened the bottom door and sent the air shuttle on it's way. Soon a whir and a clunk anounced that your change was back. Montgomery Wards was the best..
OMG!! I remember those too. Wow this thread really is a trip down memory lane.