Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone sew with leather? I've gotten in over my head... >

Does anyone sew with leather? I've gotten in over my head...

Does anyone sew with leather? I've gotten in over my head...

Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 PM

Default Does anyone sew with leather? I've gotten in over my head...

I decided to make an ipad case (simple, rectangular with a small strap to close) out of leather. I am using a fairly thin, flexible leather and I have a button stud as a closure. The problem is that the hardware will scratch the ipad if I don't cover it somehow from the inside. Because I intended to sew the leather wrong sides together and just trim the edges, I can't figure out how to attach a lining. I don't think the leather will "turn" the same way fabric does.

The only think I can think of is to glue the lining fabric to the leather. My concern is that glue or adhesive will leave marks on the outside of the leather. I.e. if I use a swirly application of glue, will the swirls show?

Ugh. Anyway, I've procrastinated as usual, and now have to finish this little project by Monday night.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is my inspiration piece
Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

You could make a separate lining, place it into the case wrong sides facing, and bind the top edge to attach it.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

If it is real leather than the inside will be like suede and shouldn't scratch. I don't sew with real leather because I don't like how it sews for me. If you decide to machine sew leather, I would recommend a roller foot for your machine. Some people sew through tissue paper instead to prevent the leather from sticking to the machine foot and machine bed. Use a blue jean or similar needle and strong thread.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
You could make a separate lining, place it into the case wrong sides facing, and bind the top edge to attach it.
See? This is why I come here. That had not even occurred to me.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 PM

You should be able to turn the leather.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If it is real leather than the inside will be like suede and shouldn't scratch. I don't sew with real leather because I don't like how it sews for me. If you decide to machine sew leather, I would recommend a roller foot for your machine. Some people sew through tissue paper instead to prevent the leather from sticking to the machine foot and machine bed. Use a blue jean or similar needle and strong thread.
It is real leather. I'm not too worried about the leather scratching, rather the hardware that I am using as a closure. I sort of wanted to hide the strap at the point it attaches to the case, but I think that might just be borrowing trouble.