Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone still use... >

Does anyone still use...

Does anyone still use...

Old 12-25-2010, 06:15 AM

Goodness~ I had forgotten they even exist. I do have a pair somewhere, buried in the land of long forgotten junk.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:39 AM

I have a fairly new pair of Black and Decker and I use them anytime I do clothing construction. Cutting out the pattern pieces is still a breeze. No way would I use them for quilting! Still can't beat the good old rotary cutter for piece cutting.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:05 AM

i have a pair and i use them to cut fringe on fleece scarfs
they work great for that but not quilting
Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 AM

I use mine for cutting fabric from clothing patterns - or should I say I did until they lost their sharpness. Really loved them until they dulled. Anyone want to sell a pair?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
I still have mine. Hubby got them for me for Christmas many, many years ago. Will not let go of them though, I think it is the sentimental feeling I have.
Yes, like Sweeterthanwine, I still have my sentimental sewing items too. Just cannot get rid of them. In the 1960s as a teenager, my uncle made me a wooden sewing box for Christmas. What better time than now to remember it.

The box is about 24X24 with a lift up lid. Inside is a side shelf with pegs for spools of thread. The rest is empty space for what still holds those electric scissors, cloth tape measure which winds up into a metal circle holder, a small ruler with slide guide, old needle envelope with needle threader, odd shaped hand scissors that look like a sandhill crane when open and standing, plus miscellaneous pins, buttons and rick rack. (I marvel at those plastic like round thing-a-jigs which we stuck in tops of spools of thread so the thread would not unwind when not in use.) But the most cherished items the box contains are the patterns for my wedding veil and dress.

Ah, sweet memories..... 4-H Club, Dress Reviews at State and County Fairs, Make It With Wool Contests, Home Ec. class in high school and of course all those homemade dresses and formals for Homecoming, Snowball and Prom Dances during both my high school and college days.

Thank you, Mom, for teaching me how to sew and may you rest in peace knowing I am carrying forward the art of quilting and garment making.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:39 AM

Mine stopped working years ago. I used them all the time when I was garment sewing, and I was sad when they stopped working. Now, it's all manual.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 AM

Chances are everyone who was sewing 30 or 40 yrs. ago when they came out has/had a pair--including me. I did use them for cutting out clothing patterns for a while. Then, they found their way back into a box and are still here somewhere. Has anyone seen them for sale anywhere lately, other than in a Goodwill store?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I never even heard of them!!! All I remember was when my Mom had an electric carving knife about a million years ago :D
Those electric knives are great for cutting foam... I believe Joann's uses one when cutting their large foam pieces.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
Good morning everyone and happy Christmas eve. Here is a question, that I don't know if it's been asked before.
I was cleaning out my quilting cabinet and came across a pair of electric scissors that my mother had.
Does anyone use electric scissors to cut their fabric with?
I used mine all the time to cut the batting from the bolt (I buy it by the bolt when on sale) also to cut off from a very large piece of fabric for backing. But alas, the battery went dead and I can't figure out how to take it apart and replace it :(
Can't find the electric scissors any more in the stores. Guess they weren't that popular
Old 12-25-2010, 11:55 AM

I just ran across a pair I had (and forgot about) - they are dull as a butter knife and as already said, the fabric kept jamming. Maybe somebody at the thrift store (where they are going) can think of a good use for them. :-)