Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone use the button for sewing? >

Does anyone use the button for sewing?

Does anyone use the button for sewing?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scraps
It isn't the ON/OFF button -----it is the button that regulates the stitching - you use it INSTEAD of a foot peddle or knee pad.
Actually it is the "ON/OFF" button. I push that button to start sewing - Not to be confused with the Power on/off button that totally shuts down the power of your machine. There is a speed regulator slider also to adjust your sewing speed. There is ALSO a stitch regulator to adjust the width and length of the stitches.

I have never used my presser foot - absolutely love the ON/OFF button and wouldn't own a machine again without that option.

Pat
Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 PM

I love my start/stop button! I am a paraplegic and before the new machine, I would guide fabric with one hand and press the foot pedal with the other. Took a little getting used to, but I think it's the best part of my new machine!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 PM

I used it on a machine supplied during a workshop and when I got a new (used) machine with it I was sure I would love it, but somehow have never really used it much. I was told in the workshop it would be good for fmq, but I just seem unable to break my old habits.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:50 PM

I have a bernina 440, does it come with a start/stop button? I think I would love it
Old 02-26-2011, 05:54 PM

All the time!!! I just discovered the other day, (I was a bit distracted by something) if you hold the button continually, it will stitch s-l-o-w-l-y. That little feature has helped me many times.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:55 PM

My Bernina has a knee lift and my Janome has a button, but I don't use either one! Can't teach this old dog a new trick :(
Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
Wow, I have had my Elna 7200 for about four years now and never knew I had this feature! LOL
Anyway, I wanted to ask, can you use the reverse button with the start/stop button for backtacking? In other words, once I press the start/stop and I start moving forward, can I press reverse while it's running? I can't imagine why I couldn't, but my manual doesn't address this and I'm always one to err on the side of caution, so I was just wondering if any of you have done this. Thanks!!
Suzanne - yes, you can most definitely press the backstitch button while the machine is in motion - using the ON/OFF button - the same as if you were using the presser foot.

Pat
Old 02-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Don't have any machines with this feature - thinking of getting one,though.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 PM

I love the stop/start button on my Janome! I only use it, though, for doing long seams (like piecing backing or putting on borders) and when I piece batting together. It really helps with those straight seams. I love the way I can also set the speed on my Janome...slow enough so I can snag the pins before the needle gets them and keep the batting going through straight, but I can make it fast enough that don't get bored watching each stitch being made!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:58 PM

I, too, use the foot petal out of habit, but my dil has a brother machine ( her first machine) and was self taught because she could not get to the classes they store offered. She does a wonderful job of controling the machine with the button only.