Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it cost to upgrade the software >

Does it cost to upgrade the software

Does it cost to upgrade the software

Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 PM

Default Does it cost to upgrade the software

Of the Brother sewing/embroidery machines? What is the charge, if any?

Someone told me that there is a charge for routine software upgrades. Is this true? I am contemplating buying a Dreamweaver combo. I just want to be prepared.
Sandy
Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Check with your local dealer - they should have that information for you.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM

You don't need expensive software unless you want to digitize. most editing software, some are free, some are reasonably priced. the only one that does free updates for the life of the software is floriani. This means when your operating system is no longer compatible with your software you don't have to buy new software. Most softwares can be used for any machine meaning you don't have to buy brother software for brother machines. Since you are new I recommend that you do trials of different software before you buy. Thats the one thing I regret and if I could go back would have bought a different software. You don't need a software right away so take you time and find the right one. Upgrades depend on the type of software and your computer operating system. some softwares can't be upgraded, but they do have updates sometimes that are free when new operating systems come out, but if operating systems are improved in such a way that make them very different from the original operating system they have to actually redo the software to make it compatible with the new operating system which cost them money to do which is why it cost money to upgrade or get the new system. computers are confusing and someone explained this better than me on another forum, but I hope some of it made sense.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 AM

I guess i need to clarify my question. ....does the Brother machine itself ever need its software upgraded? Example....the Janome 1100 had a software upgrade to upgrade to the SE. I dont have the 1100 so I dont know if there had been a cost to upgrade. So, if I purchase a Dreamweaver, is there likely a software (machine only) upgrade with a fee to do so.

Has anyone with. Brother had to pay for a routine software upgrade? The dealer that I am considering buying the achine from has not mentioned it. I will ask him.

Kind of like buying a hybrid car, the dont volunteer that replacement battery is thousands of $$$ to o so. It would be a deal breaker likely...forthe car sale as an example.

Sandy
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Brother usually has free UPDATES.

If you have the software, and update is an improvement to that version of the software and usually free.

An UPGRADE is the next version of the software. It is usually offered to owners of the previous version at a reduced price.

If you don't own the software, you buy it at full price.