Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does everyone pre wash their fabric? >

Does everyone pre wash their fabric?

Does everyone pre wash their fabric?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kalena
I am sort of new at quilting. The person who taught me so much, said don't pre wash. But reading on here it sounds like most of you pre wash. Can you all give me advise? Thank you.
do a search on this forum..for "wash or not" or anything using the word wash..you will get a million answers...

some will, some won't and some will regret it if they don't, so be sure to search out the ""HELP!!" the OMG", the "MY fabric bled, now what do I do", the "what do I do now", the "my quilt is ruined", and the" I could just cry"topics as well!

I wash because I know how many chemicals are on the fabric..I would rather include the washing, hanging out to dry and pressing as part of my process, because to me it completes the process. NO half-baked quilting/sewing here! Less things to worry about that way!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:22 PM
RDM

I do most of the time, but not precuts and kits. A favorite quilt instructor was allergic to fabric stabilizers and got me in the habit. I ALWAYS do for donated fabric, since not sure of the quality.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 PM

No, and neither do any of my quilting friends.
I do prewash Flannel fabrics. They shrink more and not evenly so I do prewash those.

Before a quilt goes out the door I run it thru the washer with 2 or 3 color catchers depending on the colors of the quilt.
Fortunately I have never had a problem. A time or two I have had a fabric leave a little color on my sewing machine, when that has happened, out it goes.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:38 PM

I pre wash--was always taught to in case of any shrinkage,may be I am wrong or wrongly taught
Old 08-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by campion
I pre wash--was always taught to in case of any shrinkage,may be I am wrong or wrongly taught
no, your were taught correctly/properly!
and ALL new sewers/quilter's should be taught what is right for the use of fabric. But you know how it is...instead of learning the proper care/use of fabric, people just do their own thing and then gripe later when fabric is off grain, it shrinks while being ironed, it bleeds all over their pretty white background...etc...
Old 08-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Just wondering -

How many hands have touched "new" fabrics that are/were still on bolts? Where have the fabrics been before they end up in the final buyer's shopping bag?

Many of us talk about the joy of touching/petting/caressing fabrics while shopping.

Wonder how many of us just may have had a cold or touched something unsanitary (like a door handle or money) before touching the fabrics?

I really don't know if fabric "retains" bacteria and/or viruses -

but why do some people seem to assume that if a fabric is purchased "used" it needs to be washed - and if it is purchased "new" - it does not need to be washed?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:37 PM

I don't pre-wash but may regret it someday. I have so much stash that it would be impossible to start pre-washing now. I also use jelly rolls, charm packs, etc. that are (in my humble opinion) too difficult to pre-wash.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 AM

Here's a link to what I posted last month. I HAVE to prewash for medical reasons. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136146-1.htm

This is another link regarding prewashing. Some of us DON'T have an option. http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_..._and_smel.html
Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 AM
Vat

I always wash any piece that has RED in it because of running. But I starch every piece before cutting.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 AM

This has been an on-going debate. I personally don't pre-wash new fabrics unless they have a "chemically" odor. I ALWAYS wash fabrics from yard sales, thrift shops etc. I was given a box of fabrics the other day that had been sitting in an outdoor shed for years. I opened it outside, with rubber gloves on and pulled the pieces out and shook them before washing them. Lots of insect casings, dead insect carcasses and even a couple of old wasp nest cells. I think it all depends on your own preferences and allergies. BTW, I ALWAYS wash finished baby quilts before gifting them.