Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does scrim always make a batting unsuitable for hand quilting? >

Does scrim always make a batting unsuitable for hand quilting?

Does scrim always make a batting unsuitable for hand quilting?

Old 11-24-2022, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
The best way to know is to put your needle into it and see how it feels. It doesn't look like it has too many seeds. Should be alright. Let us know...
The seeds are sprinkled evenly throughout, but perhaps they're smaller than the seeds that cause problems in other battings? How could I tell?
Old 11-24-2022, 05:51 AM

I never noticed an issue with the seeds or the scrim in W&N. And I never paid attention to which side should be against the top or the bottom. I really don't know that it matters.

Regarding the QD batting that I had bearding issues - it was only during the hand-quilting process that I had bearding. Once the quilt was washed/dried I did not notice any bearding. But it was given to nephew for his new baby so I have no clue if they are using/washing it at this point.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I never noticed an issue with the seeds or the scrim in W&N. And I never paid attention to which side should be against the top or the bottom. I really don't know that it matters.

Regarding the QD batting that I had bearding issues - it was only during the hand-quilting process that I had bearding. Once the quilt was washed/dried I did not notice any bearding. But it was given to nephew for his new baby so I have no clue if they are using/washing it at this point.
Was it definitely bearding, or could it have been fluff detaching from the bits of batting around the edge and straying over the quilt?
Old 11-28-2022, 09:25 AM

Well, I made up a block from binding scraps and layered it, and I reckon I'll keep this half metre for little odds and ends, table mats and such. It's a bit too stiff and sturdy for ideal hand quilting. Manageable for a short time, but I wouldn't want to do a whole quilt in it. Also it seems to be depositing fluff on the fabric remarkably fast.

Right now the stitching is helping me deal with the stress of a fabric bleed! Gorgeous quilt in citrus colours, mostly batiks, and the whole thing has been tinged a little green, making the yellows look dull. It's currently soaking in a basin of hot soapy water to think about what it's done.