Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does a serger have a place in the quilt making process >

Does a serger have a place in the quilt making process

Does a serger have a place in the quilt making process

Old 09-15-2023, 07:07 PM

Default Does a serger have a place in the quilt making process

I have been using a serger after I have finished basting part.An before any quilting has begun.The thing I like about it, is the edge now will not fray. It also seems to give some strength to the quilt. So I was thinking this might be a good idea for kids quilts since they can be rough on quilts.
Has any one else used a serger on the edge of their quilts? Is there a down side to using this method for securing the edge?
Old 09-15-2023, 07:11 PM

Years ago Kaye Wood used the serger when doing her 6 Hour quilt
Old 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM

I don't know about serging the edges, I really like the double folded french binding cut on the bias, machine stitched to the front and hand stitched down on the back. I've tried other finishes but keep coming back to what I refer to as "competition" bindings.

But I do often stabilize the edges, especially with heavily pieced borders with a row of stitching within the seam line and I think the serger would do fine with something like that.

I have known quilters who serge their seams, especially with projects like the jelly roll race.

Despite what the quilt police may think, there are no rules (except in competitions).
Old 09-16-2023, 07:05 AM

I tried Kaye Woods method and the seams were so bulky, I didn't finish the quilt, thinking how uncomfortable it would be.

I also don't know how you could get an accurate 1/4" seam allowance with a serger. But if you're just doing strips, that wouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I also don't know how you could get an accurate 1/4" seam allowance with a serger. But if you're just doing strips, that wouldn't be an issue.
That's the way I feel. I never tried to use the serger to quilt because I didn't think I'd get an accurate 1/4" seam. And I don't like the bulk of serger seams.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 09-16-2023 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by GregB View Post
I have been using a serger after I have finished basting part.An before any quilting has begun.The thing I like about it, is the edge now will not fray. It also seems to give some strength to the quilt. So I was thinking this might be a good idea for kids quilts since they can be rough on quilts.
Has any one else used a serger on the edge of their quilts? Is there a down side to using this method for securing the edge?
I think you are talking about serging around the edge of the whole quilt before you apply the binding? I do think it would help hold the edges down and give it some strength. I often edge stitch around my quilts to stabilize the top before I layer it and quilt it. That keeps the seams from popping around it. I do think it will add a bit of bulk to the edges of the quilt and make them a bit stiffer. But if you want a sturdy quilt that is going to get a lot of usage, give it a try.
If you go for it, let use know how it turns out.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Serging can also be used on the edges of pieces you are going to wash, so they don't fray out in the machines. I would never use one to sew seams for a quilt, tho. You'd have very weak seams. But for over-edging they are great. I use my serger a lot to finish clothing seams, but rarely have a use for it in quilting.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:17 PM

Default Does a serger have a place in the quilt making process

First off, thank you to all who relied to my question. Let me clear a few things up. I only use the serger after the safety pins are in place to hold the three layers together.Then I serger the outer edge of the quilt. I have not noticed that much of bulk under the binding. I make from twin to queen size quilts for people who are taking chemo therapy so far. I also use a domestic sewing machine to do the free motion quilting. I am self taught on sewing and quilt making ( from books). So I was curious if others have used a serger in making quilts. It seems to me to add some stability ( less fraying) to the quilt when working on such a large quilt for the free motion part.
Old 09-16-2023, 06:56 PM

One downside I can think of is that if you have any extra puff in the quilt top or backing as you approach the serged edge is you might get a "pleat or tuck" in it if you can't ease the fabric enough, but you could also just seam rip a little of the serging out to free the edge in easing out the excess fullness.
Old 09-16-2023, 06:59 PM

Oh, and I did make a quilt as you go double layer polar fleece quilt once by serger. That was an adventure as you had four layers of polar fleece in the serged seam. It was a plain old 4 thread serger but I did it. And that polar fleece quilt was really toasty! Ha, and I had purchased that extra heavy very thick polar fleece too!