Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Your Local Quilt Store..... >

Does Your Local Quilt Store.....

Does Your Local Quilt Store.....

Old 05-19-2012, 07:31 PM

No way should you have been charged shipping charges unless the book was sold to you at a really great price. Shop owners that pull that type of thing don't end up with happy customers. Sorry this happened to you.

Kat
Old 05-20-2012, 04:49 AM

I have learned to be careful about classes all the good quilt shops usually gives a discount on all supplies for the class
some even offer fabric discounts all day while there I took a class once where there was no discount so I did not buy my fabric there either went where I got a guild discount
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Actually, the instructor was most likely correct in charging you sales tax. If her business is from a state that has sales tax, and her banking institution where she processes her sales and credit card charges is also in that state, she is by law required to charge sales tax, even if she's physically in another state.
Going OT briefly to clarify this comment...

She may be required to collect tax in many states because of inter-state agreements (it's actually called a use tax when selling outside of your home state), but it's the tax rate of the state in which the sale takes place and is to be remitted to that state, not your home state. The purpose of the agreement is so the state loses no revenue by allowing out-of-state retailers to operate within its borders and so the state's own retailers do not operate at a disadvantage.

In no case, when purchasing within your home state/county, do you owe sales tax at a different rate than that of your home state/county. Since New Hampshire's sales tax rate is 0%, the class instructor/seller was definitely out of line.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
Old 05-20-2012, 05:59 AM

I'm afraid that would be the last of my money they ever got. That is insane.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 AM

That sounds like a rip-off. Shops around here give a discount on supplies used for classes. I've never heard of paying for shipping unless something is actually shipped to me.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 AM

That's unfortunate but the few dollars tagged on for shipping can cost the LQS way more than any amount earned. Nobody likes to be nickel and dimed to death.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 AM

That's a rip-off, i would have walked out and never return, but we have plenty of LQS here that i could do that. Or, tell them in the future if you are going to tack on that fee to let you know and your business will be taken elsewhere.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 AM

One of our LQSs has great classes...no shipping charges...she even serves lunch at her expense!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 AM

I would think the store would include the shipping costs in their markup so one wouldn't SEE it!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

There could be several reasons you were charged shipping, and we do not know those reasons. It is really impossible to know if it is fair or not without knowing the reason for the charge. I would simply ask the LQS why you are were charged a shippng charge.