Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does your machine bite?

Does your machine bite?

Do y'all use a Bob (starter) when piecing? I'm so in the habit that I don't even know if my machine would eat the fabric or not. So does your machine bite? What do you call your starters?

leaders and enders
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Only when it is hungry does it take a bite. I have to remember to use a Bob - good advice.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

sap
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonedox View Post
    Do y'all use a Bob (starter) when piecing? I'm so in the habit that I don't even know if my machine would eat the fabric or not. So does your machine bite? What do you call your starters?
    only if I put my finger the needle

Mine can bite if I'm not paying attention where I stopped it but I use leaders and enders for two other reasons: I will eventually get a quilt out of them and I also find that using them saves me lots of thread that I would otherwise pull, cut and throw away. I like watching my pile of leader and ender pieces growing while I'm sewing something else!

Power Poster
    I call mine a spider when I use one. On triangles I usually just start sewing 1/4 inch from the start and backstitch to the edge and then continue.

no my machine doesn't eat fabric so I don't use leaders
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Nope, mine doesn't bite, so no need for leaders, enders.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I do not understand how you get a quilt from your leaders and enders. I have lots of little pieces. Just trim off 1/8" and keep sewing a line 1/4" from the edge until it is too small and it goes in the doggie bag with the rest of its pieces.

Blog Entries
    I use a scrap piece of fabric too. If I get cocky and try to start a seam without it, my machine always knocks me down a peg! It's pretty much a habit for me too
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    i call them leaders and enders, my machine doesn't usually bite
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by grammy17 View Post
    I do not understand how you get a quilt from your leaders and enders. I have lots of little pieces. Just trim off 1/8" and keep sewing a line 1/4" from the edge until it is too small and it goes in the doggie bag with the rest of its pieces.
    Instead of just sewing onto and off of a scrap for leaders/enders, you would actually be piecing scraps or patches together. Bonnie Hunter has a system for doing this Oof course!), but I have not tried it yet. And I don't trim my leader/ender pieces, just keep sewing over them till they're so full of thread they're too thick and toss them. I mostly use them to conserve thread, my newer machine only "bites" if it's in a bad mood!
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    My straight stitch plate hasn't eaten anything yet, but.....
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

I call that tiny piece of fabric a starter. I was taught to use one when I started quilting 3 years ago, but I rarely use one. My machine doesn't usually fuss.

Dina

Blog Entries
    that used to happen with my Singer but not so much with my Janome. I have a plate on that came with the machine and so far, so good. The singer had two plates. one for straight stitching and another for zig zag or more.

my machine usually behaves, so I don't use the leaders & enders idea, but want to, to help work on a scrap quilt for someday
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Most of my machines don't 'bite', but I use a leader and ender to save thread.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

Blog Entries
    We call leaders etc, pigs.
    I have a selection of machines and don't use them I prefer to just hold ends as I start.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    my Brother doesn't bite but I use starters and enders to save thread.

Quote Originally Posted by grammy17 View Post
    I am sewing two scrap blocks together as leaders/enders. The smallest scrap I keep in my "food chain" is 2" blocks. Anything smaller than that gets used as stuffing or is tossed. I always cut as many 2" squares from my scraps as possible. I keep them all mixed together in a drawer next to my sewing machine. I just grab two random pieces at a time to sew together. 2" blocks are the perfect size for leaders/enders and I really do save a lot of thread by using them. After they are sewn together and clipped off of my chained pieces I just throw them into a bin to be pressed and sewn together later. It will probably take forever and a day to get a quilt out of them, but little by little they are adding up quickly!

I posted pictures of my leader & ender sewing setup in "Pictures" under "Mission Organization" so maybe my description will make more sense!

Power Poster
    I think using them helps me conserve a lot on thread!

Blog Entries
    I rarely start a new seam - I plan my piecing so that I have something ready to go under the presser foot at all times so my blocks are my leaders and enders. My 301 doesn't eat fabric, but I sew like this to cut down on thread tails. The quilt back is so much neater.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    My machine bites sometimes. I use a leader.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    no my machine doesn't eat fabric so I don't use leaders
    I'm with Dolphyngyrl. No leaders and enders needed with my Brother machines. Also the thread cutting feature wastes very little thread. I don't have to pull a tail up before I start sewing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast