Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your quilt guild do anything to help integrate new members? >

Does your quilt guild do anything to help integrate new members?

Does your quilt guild do anything to help integrate new members?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
As Theresa noted, from my own experience all groups are like this, it isn't just guilds.
I agree with this, and I love Jan's guild's mentoring program.

My son joined a Boy Scout troop and out of about 50 boys, only knew a couple. The troop has a mentoring program and assigned one of the boys he already knew to be his mentor. I thought this was great for two reasons: 1. It gave my son an approachable person to ask "dumb" questions without fear of ridicule, and 2. the mentor is responsible to make sure the newbie successfully blends into the troop. If the new member struggles, it is the mentor's job to make him feel welcome and include him in projects and games. This takes the onus off the scoutmaster and makes it much easier for the other boys to accept the new kid.

I've often wondered why more guilds don't institute similar programs.

Last edited by Peckish; 04-09-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 AM

All of your comments have motivated me to be more pro-active. I don't feel like I am part of the more active and talented group in our guild, but I feel very accepted and don't feel slighted. I need to set a goal to speak to at least 2 members that I don't know very well each meeting and to at least introduce myself to any visitors. It takes me a long time to remember names and place them with faces. One thing that I do to help with that is to glance through the membership directory before each meeting. We have about 70 members, so that is not a big task.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
. . . and so I "applied" (which I didn't know they did a character reference into ones personal life. I notified my application was denied. I asked why and my clients found out that one of the members didn't think I was "a Christian".
Wow, that is incredible! Their exclusionary behavior is the complete antithesis of what Christianity stands for.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 AM

I joined a guild a few months ago. At each meeting there was one person who went out of her way to talk with me. Other than that, they all seemed to have their group of friends and weren't really receptive to my smiles or attempts to engage them in conversation, even when I pointed out I was new and didn't know anyone. I stopped going. Life is too short to spend time going to meetings that I don't have to go to with people that don't make me feel welcome. I'm sure they were lovely people otherwise, but not a good fit for me.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
Sometimes "it's in the air". Being approachable and attentive to a new person in a group is good manners.
I am probably one of the most approachable people you will meet. I moved 2 1/2 hours from my home town of 42 years.....12 years ago. I had to reach out to introduce myself to church members, local Boards, three quilt guilds, etc. I guess that I am unusual....I make my self "known" and available. In these 12 years i have held many leadership roles. But it had zero to do with lack of effort on my part. But I am an extrovert by nature. I feel bad for those who are not comfortable making an effort.
Sandy
Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM

My guild does as Jan in VA's - a mentoring program for a year. This is a new feature though. Best of luck to you in future days finding a welcoming group!
Old 04-09-2014, 05:52 PM

Great idea, the mentoring program. Will bring this idea to my guild's board members. We are a fairly large guild, and I know a few people there from other guilds that I belonged to. I guess I am in the minority: I go up to people and introduce myself and ask if I can sit with them. I choose a different person at each meeting. We sit at round tables and I get to meet all the other folks at the table, too. Do I call the other members friends? No. They are more "comfortable acquaintances". I also decided to volunteer for our monthly raffle committee, so I will surely get to know more members this way. I am very outgoing, but also extremely comfortable being on my own. I did belong to one guild, though, where I was out and out snubbed...I don't belong there anymore, even though my best friend still does.

Thanks again for the mentoring idea.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 PM

I don't belong to a guild but the ladies call it a quilt club. We meet at one of the churches and bring an item for show and tell. There is a variety of ages of women who come when they can. As a newbie, I absolutely love it. Usually there are about 10 people who come. We show what we are working on, get demonstrations from others and maybe a project if we care to do it. There are no dues but plenty of positive support from these ladies. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I agree with this, and I love Jan's guild's mentoring program.

My son joined a Boy Scout troop and out of about 50 boys, only knew a couple. The troop has a mentoring program and assigned one of the boys he already knew to be his mentor. I thought this was great for two reasons: 1. It gave my son an approachable person to ask "dumb" questions without fear of ridicule, and 2. the mentor is responsible to make sure the newbie successfully blends into the troop. If the new member struggles, it is the mentor's job to make him feel welcome and include him in projects and games. This takes the onus off the scoutmaster and makes it much easier for the other boys to accept the new kid.

I've often wondered why more guilds don't institute similar programs.

we are not kids. We should have the social skills to find our way. I still stand that the effort is on both sides. Seek out others, join a committee, show up to help with a show, etc. A couple of friendly introductions should do the trick. Newbies should extend the greeting too. Many times I have done so only to find that I introduce myself to another newbie. A win win. Seek out another who looks reserved or unsure. They appreciate the intro.

I have been in 3 guilds for years. I could not tell you who is "new " or not. Even with introductions. Too many people to keep track of. But, i am obnoxious...i talk to people in elevators. They generally respond back with a smile. People like to be acknowledged. Once a member, Maybe a newbie should volunteer to implement a mentor program, welcome packet, moderate a Guild Facebook or Yahoo page. Track membership, etc. The Board is a great place to find out what needs to be done. Even if "behind the scenes".

Btw, i was extremely shy in grade school. I grew out of it.

sandy
Old 04-10-2014, 03:22 AM

At our guild we have a new member's tea where we try to get to know the new members. I'm President of our guild and I made a point of calling each new member to introduce myself and to learn a little about each of them. It is hectic at the meetings and I thought this might make them feel welcome. We also have someone from our membership committee take them around at meetings. Our name CAMEO stands for Come and Meet Each Other.