Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your ruler still have a perfectly straight edge? >

Does your ruler still have a perfectly straight edge?

Does your ruler still have a perfectly straight edge?

Old 11-02-2019, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

Default Does your ruler still have a perfectly straight edge?

I just verified that one of my favorite rulers has a curve on both edges from being worn down by use.

I can slide a folded index card under the centers when I stand the ruler on edge.

Is it significant? It's enough so that when I move the ruler, the cut edge does not follow a straight line on the ruler.

So - now to replace that ruler - it's a 3 x 18 ominigrid with the 1/8 inch markings. It is/was one of my favorite rulers - which is probably why it is worn down.

Doesn't it seem odd/irritating/frustrating that the used items wear out sooner than the unused ones?
Old 11-02-2019, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

I also love my 3x18 and it isn’t warped but it does have a few nicks in it.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I replace my rulers when I get a nick or chip in them or when they get worn looking. My most used ruler is the 8 1/2 x 24 to cut the yardage then use the size ruler I need to make the sub cuts.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:05 AM

I've replaced a number of worn rulers over the years. You can't do precision cutting with a curved straight line and those straight edges get shaved over and over.
Bear, we could barter for you know what, I'd be happy to replace your beloved. ruler...
Old 11-02-2019, 05:13 AM

I have had to replace a couple of my rulers, the 6 1/2 square and the 6 1/2 by 24 inch ruler I purchased the Creative Grid ones and now they are my favorite
Old 11-02-2019, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I also love my 3x18 and it isn’t warped but it does have a few nicks in it.
Not warped - "eroded" from use
Old 11-02-2019, 06:24 AM

I have any number of rulers where the lines and numbers have worn off. Some have nicks or like yours are no longer straight lines. Yes, this is frustrating. I have replaced many, and cutting mats too, over the years. The last one replace was my 24" Omnigrid ruler and bought at Quilter's Select ruler this time around. I was set in my way and did not really want to change until I compared the differences in the 2 rulers for accuracy and control. This time around the Quilter's Select won out. I have also use Fiskar rulers and they wear out the quickest, IMHO. There is no guarantee that the QS ruler will last any longer but it is offering so much better control I am finding it worth the extra $$ I paid for it.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:27 AM

I tend to mow over the corners when doing HSTs, especially when there is just one corner where the diagonal line works best.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 11-02-2019, 06:33 AM

Yes, over time, my acrylic rulers become wavy, uneven, arched - in other words - completely not straight. As sad as it is, I toss them and buy new ones. Just part of this craft I guess.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Another one of those "duh" insights for me.

I need to think of replacing the no longer straight rulers in the same category as replacing a dull rotary blade. When something is used a lot, it tends to become worn out and no longer does the job it is supposed to.

PS - Please do not donate those rulers - where some newbie will think she/he is getting a bargain - and is just buying frustration and inaccuracy!.