Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Domestic machine on quilt frame? >

Domestic machine on quilt frame?

Domestic machine on quilt frame?

Old 08-19-2017, 07:42 AM

Default Domestic machine on quilt frame?

I have a Janome 6500P that does a million different stitches, and was told I could put it on a LAQ frame that I purchased online from a reputable company. Well, it does fit, but with a 9" throat space it only gives me about 4 or 5 inches of quilting space at a time. On a practice muslin quilt piece it sewed beautifully after getting the stitches the size I needed them...but a quilt top?? I'm banging my head against the wall and ripping out terrible stitches. Has anyone else tried a domestic on a LAQ frame?
Old 08-19-2017, 07:58 AM

I did see somewhere that a domestic machine can be "lengthened" so it has a much longer harp! Must not have been very successful as I can't find anything on google now.
Good luck!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

You've just run up against the typical problem with a DSM on a frame, and the problem gets worse as you roll the quilt and have less and less space. Lots of people do make this system work though. Like Kitsie, I have seen where some machines throats can be lengthened, but I think that was done with a vintage machine.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original Handi-Quilter "frame" was a portable version that you used with your DSM. You had rails that you taped to your counter top or table and set your DSM on the trolley (my name for it). In fact this is the system I use, but with a lot of DIY improvements. The rails have been upgraded to metal not plastic, mounted on a permanent table, counter top formica covered, and the aluminum rods now have wooden dowls through them. Yes, with my Brother 1300 on it, my throat space is limited, but I have done a queen size quilt on it. I did one half of the quilt and then removed it from the frame and rotated it to do the other side. I was doing the Baptist Fan pattern. Tricky but doable. Since I'm only quilting for myself and I don't enter my quilts in shows or the fair, it's a cheap solution to owning a LA. I keep my quilting lines simple, a meander or echo stitch, no feathers for me! I find it easier to FMQ by moving my machine vs moving my quilt. Like everything else in quilting, practice, practice, practice.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

i used to use the Juki on a frame. yes, the max space at the end is only 4-5". so you have to get creative with the designs in the block. i used to do the bottom 2 corners, then the middle, then the top 2 corners [or the other direction]. it took more time, but definitely worked.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:07 AM

I have a Janome 1600p on a Little Gracie frame. Yes the throat space is limited, but since I have never quilted on a true longarm, I don't know any better☺.
Anyway, it does take some messing with it to get your tension just right with whichever thread your using. I discovered that Glide on the top and Bottomline in the bobbin, doesn't work for me. Stitches just don't want to form. Connecting threads brand of thread works well.
I took my feed dogs out since my machine doesn't drop them.
Just keep trying and you will figure it out. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

I have one mounted on a Gracie frame. It has a 9 1/2" throat and works good for me but you don't have much space. Mine is 6 1/2 to 7" of quilting area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579237[/ATTACH]
My machine is a 1914 Singer model 66 that my DH stripped down and repainted with new decals. He put precision ball bearings to help the movement and a bicycle brake handle to control the speed of the machine. I also store fabric underneath my frame. I love it.
Attached Thumbnails little-gracie-frame.jpg  

Last edited by twinkie; 08-20-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:22 AM

Kitsie, what you are referring to is the Bailey machine it's just a stretched DSM however you still don't have the height once you roll the quilt. I belong to the online group and was so glad to hear all the problems that a lot of them had so I didn't go that route. Make an informed decision before you invest your money.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:32 AM

Like Mike's girl I know no better and am totally happy with my set-up. I pantograph only. No tension issues.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I did see somewhere that a domestic machine can be "lengthened" so it has a much longer harp! Must not have been very successful as I can't find anything on google now.
Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Kitsie, what you are referring to is the Bailey machine it's just a stretched DSM
No, she's referring to the WOW machines. There was a company that used to stretch your machine. At first, they could do almost any machine you already owned. Then they would only do certain machines. You can't find them because they closed a few years ago, not sure if it was because of lack of business or if it was because they wanted to retire and couldn't find anyone to buy them out.

I have a Singer 201 that was stretched to 18" by WOW.

Last edited by Peckish; 08-20-2017 at 09:05 AM.