Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dominant Eye >

Dominant Eye

Dominant Eye

Old 11-27-2021, 09:28 AM

My dominate right eye had several surgeries over the last few years and now has a blind spot that has interfered with its dominance. Now my left eye has had to take over the majority of my visual needs. Talk about change! I am making the adjustments slowly and safely. It has affected my quilting and some of the accuracy which is a bummer. I has however not stopped me! Some of my blocks are not perfect but I do my best and that is all that counts to me. Accuquilt has helped me a great deal with cutting and makes the piecing easier. There are still 'mistakes' though. I just have to keep on learning and that I will do.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:49 AM

I have a number of vision issues. I really rely on my "quilter's foot" which has the 1/4 left and right as well as front and back markings.

Because of my distortions, I was feeding the machine at a slant and found I need a marker several inches below the needle/towards me to help keep me straight. I first started using a fancy kid's finger bandage and I like the little bump of the pad as well as the visual. I also have to remind myself about proper chair positioning and sit correctly, both ergonomically and in relation to the machine.

This last summer I got an actual sewing table that allows my machine to drop down to flush with the table height. I actually prefer having it above for piecing, but I'm going to try flush for awhile to see if/how to adjust. Those couple of inches lower means I have to wear stronger readers than I have been using.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:01 AM

We've got a spammer who posted just above. I hope you can remove the post, and ban this guy.