Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: From Don-isewman--A ??? for anyone/everyone

I use Try Sharp and have used it to my satisfaction for more than 10 years.Just remember to buy the size for the blade you use most frequently It is not adaptable to different sized blades.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Sorry to agree with everyone. I have had them all...even the electric one...none work that well. I think the one you just run it through a few times, back and forth, helps the most, IF you do it after each project. The electric one made my blades worse. Now I have a friend who says they make hers sharp. I was so irritated by the way they ruined my blades that I threw it in the garbage. $60.00 down the tube...that REALLY irritated me. I buy on Ebay, make sure they are OLFA and change them often...like many more here.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I do the same as MTS -- buy in bulk on eBay. Seems as if I don't have to change blades too often, so $40 worth of blades lasts me a *long* time (and it's a lot more convenient than running a sharpener, which I think involves oil).
    I use a Fiskars cutter -- do you know whether Olfa blades work okay in that?

Blog Entries
    Harbor Freight carpet rotary blade at 2 for $1.98 is pretty hard to beat. I ordered 20 packs 2 years ago, and I'm still a long way from using all of them.

I have one I picked up a joann's a few years ago..It works fine for me..I can use the blade a while longer before buying more...I can't remember the brand name but joann's has them in stock all the time...
    Kitty

I take mine to a local knife shop that actually makes knives and he sharpens them for me at a $1 a piece.

Wow lots of good information here. I learn something every time I'm here.

I have the Tru Cut sharpener. I do the required 30sec on one side, then flip it over, 30 sec on the other, then flip it back for a further 30 sec. The blade is so sharp it will slice through wood. I always keep it nice and sharp, saves a lot of time than messing around with a dull blade. I never save a blade with a nick in it, it will never cut properly again.

Blog Entries
    I have the Tri-Sharp and have used it for at least a decade. I love it and when my blades have been sharpened several times and get old, I transfer them to paper cutting function. I recommend the Tri-sharp; I don't buy blades very often.
    Life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it!

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B39953D668.png

Blog Entries
    Make several cuts on aluminum foil. That's a cheeper method of sharpening your cutter

I love my Tru-Cut sharpener. I ordered mine online from them and bought the more expensive model. I have cut my blade purchases in half and never have to cut with a dull blade. I'm just very careful handling the naked blades.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I have not found the sharpeners to be worth the trip to the store to buy them, never mind the ridiculous amount of money they cost. I have tried 2 of my own and one of a friend, and none were in any way satisfactory.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

QM
    I have one. Actually 2, because I mislaid the first. It works quite well when DH uses it and hardly at all when I do. The difference, I suspect, is that he puts more muscle behind it. He prefers that I buy the generic from jhittle.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2