Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donating a less than perfect quilt. >

Donating a less than perfect quilt.

Donating a less than perfect quilt.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM

My prayers go out to your niece and entire family! I agree...no quilt is perfect and if it was....who would want it?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 PM

It must be a very nice, cozy quilt, or it wouldn't be designated for the couch in your living room. None of mine are perfect. I haven't kept any yet. I think if people want perfect, Wal-Mart sells Made in China assembly-line quilts which are probably a lot closer to perfect. Anyone would appreciate the hours of work that goes into a quilt, and any non-quilter will marvel that you are willing to donate all that effort. It will be a welcome addition. Besides, I'm sure it's pretty close to perfect in anyone else's eyes! I hope it goes well for your neice.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 PM

I agree most non quilter's would not notice and it is still a kind thought. Jenny Doan does have a quick big block quilt which was recently posted on the board. 9 blocks would make a king size quilt. The block is I tthink 24 inches a very big star, if you added some border's that might work.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 PM

Prayer's for your niece.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 AM

The only person who is really going to notice the fact teat teh points don't match is you, s I would go ahead and donate it. It's going for a good cause.

My prayers are also going out to your niece and her family.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 AM

I guess my question is- Has the quilt been used on your couch already? If it has been, I would say "no". I would not want to win a "used"quilt.
If it has been sitting on a shelf waiting to be used that's different.
personally I donate my best or not at all.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 PM

I myself, have never seen a "perfect" quilt, much less ever made one!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM

Hi... when is the benefit?.. I actually have a quilt I can donate to the benefit if I know when the benefit is. It is finished and about the size of a twin bed. Your welcome to it if you want it.. just pm me the address of where to send it to and I will get it in the mail tomarrow .. Good luck with the benefit and I will keep your neice in my prayers

Hugsssssssss Joyce
ps.. I'm in Sioux City Iowa.. so not far from you
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by tjk829 View Post
My niece was diagnosed with three brain aneurysms, she has had the surgery to fix the largest and is scheduled for surgery to repair the other two. Sadly her mother died from this when she was young. Their community is sponsoring a benefit for her and I was asked to donate a quilt. The only one I have completed right now and that can get there in time is one that I made for myself as a "couch quilt". It isn't perfect, not all the points match and there are a few mistakes in it. It isn't horrible by any means, just something I never intended for public view and I'm just not sure it is appropriate for a donation. Any advice?

Decide ahead of time it's YOUR DONATION and any quilt police can take a flying leap. Then send it. I did a personal sized quilt---long way for perfect--and figured if it brought in 75-100 dollars I'd have made a good donation. It brought in $240. I was shocked.

And kiddo/lung transplant recipient last spring is doing great and will be swimming in the local high school swimming sectionals tomorrow night! Not fast----------but he is breathing well.