Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donating Quilt Tops >

Donating Quilt Tops

Donating Quilt Tops

Old 07-29-2015, 04:20 AM

Default Donating Quilt Tops

I have decided I am not a quilter, I'm a top maker. I don't usually finish a quilt to the very end and actually make it a quilt. Therefore I have about 25 quilt tops. I would like to find someplace to donate the tops who will make them into quilts and then donate them to a good cause.

Any suggestions??
Old 07-29-2015, 04:40 AM

Many quilt guilds do a lot of charity work. You could also talk to some of your local quilt shops for guilds they are familiar with. Project Linus chapters might be able to use some of the items if they are child-related. There are also church groups that have quilting groups. I am sure that with a few phone calls you can find a good home for your tops.

Pam
Old 07-29-2015, 04:42 AM

You also might trade with someone who doesn't like to do the piecing, but loves the quilting.....you do her piecing and she does the quilting!
Old 07-29-2015, 04:43 AM

Redgarnet here on the board collects for the Juvenile Diabetes every year. http://www.quiltingboard.com/request...a-t259227.html

MadeinMaine http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...ine-u5247.html I know that she hasn't been on the board in awhile. I have an address for her if you want to contact her by snail mail. Just pm me. She makes quilts for a kids camp in Maine.

Owlvamp, donates quilts to a Woman's Shelter in her area. I would just pm her if your interested. http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...mp-u24402.html

I'm sure you will get many more offers.

Just a suggestion, why don't you also see if there is a Long Armer willing to quilt a top or two for you for the trade of a few tops for them to practice on. (Just a suggestion.)
Old 07-29-2015, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

This is an organization that will take quilt tops. They donate them where disasters happen:
Quilts of Compassion
PO Box 350296
Toledo OH 43635

I have the email for the head of this organization. PM me if you would like it.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Contact your local quilt shop or guild. They should have info on charities. If not, contact long arm quilters in your area and see if they would quilt them for donation.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 AM

You are not alone in your enthusiasm for creating quilt tops. So often the tops are found in thrift and antique shops. To me the real work starts when a quilt is put together. I am slowed down quite a bit with arthritis in my hands so I donate many tops to Project Linus. Works for me. I can be creative and don't get bored since lap size is what they are looking for. I love to create from my stash. Don't have to be made of kiddie prints. They give quilts to kids up to 18 yrs. old. Hope you will pick out a few favorites and get them LA'd for yourself. Quilts pick up my spirits!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:34 AM

I'm in the same boat. I like to make tops, I don't like the sandwiching, and I don't even like the quilting. Wish I could make friends with a long arm quilter who hates piecing!
Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 AM

There is always a quilting group in Senior Citizens' Centers. They auction or sell the finished quilts to help keep the Sr. center going. I'm sure they would appreciate a top or two. I'm with the poster above who suggested trading tops to a quilter for finished quilts for yourself or family members.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:44 AM

My quilt guild and group both have those that are piecers only, making the tops. Others prefer to do the quilting, and still others prefer putting on the labels and binding the quilts.

You shouldn't have any problem with donating your tops. Most any quilt guild or group would love to help you out. If you don't know where to go, ask at a LQS or you quilting buddies.