Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Donations are used

My friend, who has a serger, and I make pillow cases for our local CASA children. This children are taken out of their homes, sometimes in the middle of the night, and have nothing. What few belongings they do accumulate can be transported from foster home to foster home in those pillow cases ~ it's something that is theirs to keep while they have to live like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I checked the website and they don't say you need a flange..Not sure if I can do it nicely,,would need to practice...When they say finish the seams, could they be zig=zag stitched, since I do not have a serger?

Now I am curious about a burrito pillowcase!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYWCma9wgM&feature=plcp

excellent video for pillowcases

My pillow cases go to the local CASA Advocacy center for children who must be removed from an abusive situation. They can put their few possessions in the pillow cases and have them in a safe place.

This is a great tut if you need a visual concept of the process....love Jenny at MSQC......
    the only thing I would add is to top stitch the little 'third' piece down perhaps an 1/8" from
    the folded edge as it tends to not want to lay flat after washing and what mother wants to
    have to iron a pillowcase when she is dealing with a sick child.....Jenny cuts her piece 2", I cut
    mine 1-1/2" all depends on the look you want....

I'm like some of the others. I've always wondered if donated items are actually used and you've answered that question. Your stories are very touching. Hope your GD's arm is healing well and she'll be good as new in no time.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millio...s/RollItUp.pdf

Found this tutorial when I searched burrito pillowcase
    We call this method the Hot Dog Method.

I'm involved with my guild's Project Pillowcases and over the past several years we have made and distributed through ConKerr Cancer about 4,000 pillowcases to kids in NJ and NYCity hospitals. It is always so good to hear about a child's reaction upon recieving one of the pillowcases.

We also are careful about the types of fabric used for the pillowcases we make for kids in hospitals, and donate flannel. fleece and other 'not for kids' pillowcases to other groups in need. After sewing the pillowcases they are all washed, dried and packed into quart size baggies so they are sparkling clean and have no chemicals in them.

Anyone intrested in making pillowcases for kids in hospitals should check out conkerrcancer.org and find your area coordinator. They have several methods of making pillowcases on their site. You don't have to make tons of pillowcases just as many as you can.
    Last edited by May in Jersey; 07-26-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Sacoons, thanks for the great link. I live in a suburb of Dallas and so this is really helpful to a smidge of happiness into a childs life and that of their family.

"flannel. fleece and other 'not for kids' pillowcases" (May in Jersey)
    I'm curious why the flannel would not be appropriate? Many of my 'kid prints' are flannel.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I donate a lot to my quilt group that takes them to different charities. I am amazed that each month there are so many quilts donated, but they seem to be needed.

My granddaughter had emergency surgery and on her second day they came in and gave her a quilt. She was very happy with it. By the way, she is home and doing fine. I want to thank everyone who is so generous and willing to give to help these children have some joy in their misfortune.

Oh what a bummer, but I do understand. I have had issues with clowns as long as I can remember and I don't know why either. It's weird.

It helps to decide where you want the blankets/pillowcases to go and then contact the source and ask what the need is. I almost exclusively make stuff for teenagers since most of the stuff is geared more towards younger children. I'll have to check about pillowcases. Those are fun to make. I haven't tried one with the piping though. I'll give that a shot on a pillow for me.

Some of the local hospitals will no longer accept homemade toys, which is unfortunate. They claim it is because of infection control, but one nurse said it is simply the politics of one or two people since anything autoclavable with no loose parts such as googly eyes is certainly acceptable.

Yes, people do appreciate charity quilts. I was finishing the binding on one to go to the children's hospital while at a laundromat and the guy that came in to fix one of the machines thanked me for making them. His son was given a quilt in Baltimore while being treated for cancer and although he died, they still have the quilt and it really has helped deal with his loss.

Blog Entries
    I have a very dear friend that is involved with setting up a place where young girls can go if for no other reason than to talk & have someone listen & not judge them. It is all volunteers & donations they do various things like trips to drs. appointments, pharmacies for medications, or for groceries, or just set an listen. Because most of these girls don't have jobs they have no way of buying just the basic things they will need when their little one arrives. So I have been making receiving blankets, nighties, etc putting together a small layette. Letting them know someone cares. I've used up just about all my stash so I'm asking for some help if you have any fabric, patterns etc that would be suitable for these kind of things to be made from that would be great.
    Everything is donated, everyone volunteers there time. They are a wonderful group of ladies that want to fill a need that we so need in our area so these girls don't feel they are all alone.
    You can reach me thru the Private Message & I'll will get back to you with the information that you need.
    Thank You Karissa

Allpeoplequilt.com also has pillowcase patterns available. They are still trying to make their millon pillowcase challenge.

I work at a pediatric clinic in LV and we have been receiving pillowcases. They go pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
    Wal Mart had some pillow case kits that included the 3 coordinating fabrics and that is where I found out how to make them. I did not know that you could make the cases as an item that Children's Hospitals use when a child is put into the hospital. I will definitely start making them as my contribution to "giving back". I was wondering if you could also make some with teenage type material as well. Not all children going into these hospitals are juveniles.
    I just read the website about donating cases, and yes they do want them appropriate for teens.

cjr
    I am amazed at all the comments from my original post. To all of you I will quote something from a charity that I used to be affilliated with "Thank you for giving, and giving enough to care"
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Thank you for this post - sometimes I do wonder what happens to the donated items.

Hope your grand-daughter has a complete and speedy recovery.
    Yes, it's nice to know that the donated items do get put to use. Glad your gd is doing ok.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the website. And I didn't know what flange was either!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Mary Bridge Children's Hospital is what it used to be called in 1989...then they merged with Tacoma General. The Children's hospital was supposed to stay a seperate hospital...but it became so intertwined, it was hard to tell. Many of our guilds left because of this...we raised money for the Children's hospital, not Tacoma General...and they were talking of using some of the funds from the children's area to buy for the hospital... I live in TX now...so hoping that these two hospitals are still seperate (though in same complex).

Marge

Quote Originally Posted by cjr View Post
    My 7 1/2 yr old granddaughter recently broke her arm. She lives in Federal Way WA. Not sure which hospital this was but it is Childrens hosp in Tacoma WA. While she was in surgery the floor nurse had my daughter choose a pillowcase for her. She chose a bright Little Mermaid pillowcase. DGD very proud of it. We were with her for a couple of days last week on a camping trip. DGD had her new pillow case with her and was intrigued with the flange (I believe that is what it is called)

My very special thanks to who ever made this and donated it. A small item is helping in the healing of a child. I make Quilts For Kids here in Las Vegas. This has given me the incentive to make more knowing that they really do get used and loved.

To the Tacoma pillowcase maker, many hugs from a fellow quilter. Keep up the good work.

PS DGD arm healing nicely. has not slowed her down.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Blog Entries
    I'm thankful there are so many generous quilters here. All I ask is that you remember it's not just children who need and use these wonderful, cheering quilts and pillow cases. The elderly and terminally ill are also quite appreciative and very often just as needy, especially if they're dealing with a disease like cancer that oftentimes financially devastates the family.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I'm thankful there are so many generous quilters here. All I ask is that you remember it's not just children who need and use these wonderful, cheering quilts and pillow cases. The elderly and terminally ill are also quite appreciative and very often just as needy, especially if they're dealing with a disease like cancer that oftentimes financially devastates the family.
    Sometimes the old and poor are the most needy and/or neglected members of our society.

Ditto Pat G. It is nice hearing about someone nearby. Encourages me to find a local, or semi-local, place to donate to.
    Here in Port Townsend.

Which is why I also sew, knit and crochet for a local womans/childrens shelter....A little bit of everything for as many charities as I can find....the nice part is the thank you I get back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2