Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't bother to make your own rulers! Not a deal. . .

Blog Entries

Don't bother to make your own rulers! Not a deal. . .

So yesterday, I went to my local plastics store because I wanted to have some rulers (templates) made. Large triangle, hexegon, and others were far more expensive than using my local Joanne's (50% off this week) or coupon. Interesting lesson that I thought I would share.

What needs to be remembered here is that this is your experience.

I have had several shapes/templates made at a local glass cutting shop, and have saved huge dollars. They have been cut in the same plastic/acrylic/plexiglass as our "official" quilting rulers, were accurately cut according to what I requested, with the edges buffed.

Of course, the drawback is that there are none of the 1/4" markings that come on the quilting rulers. However, often times that is not necessary.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    i too have had numerous specialty rulers/ templates made with huge savings! sorry you did not find it to be cost effective. when i start (needing) some new/different templates or think of a new ruler i want i make a list & generally go in & have half a dozen to a dozen made at once- i pay less than i would for 1 at joannes or in any other retail shop. even using a coupon.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

My friend had an 18 inch square cut at home depot for eight dollars. She loves it.

Blog Entries
    i had my specially sized DJ triangle cut, but, I agree about having the markings for most rulers.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I believe you can make permanent marks on plexiglass (acrylic) with both permanent markers (like Sharpie) and acrylic paint. Have not tried it though. http://www.ehow.com/how_8715686_write-plexiglass.html
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I believe you can make permanent marks on plexiglass (acrylic) with both permanent markers (like Sharpie) and acrylic paint. Have not tried it though. http://www.ehow.com/how_8715686_write-plexiglass.html
    Spraying alcohol on the permanent marker will take it off to if you don't want your lines on there anymore.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Thanks hpertula123 for the tip on how to get the permanent marker off. This Board is great!

I have my templates made with acryllic at the local plastics company and it really is cost effective. The downside is that they do NOT mark on the templates, which is fine with me. it has been a real pleasure working with them.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Are the edges smooth when you have them cut?

Quote Originally Posted by leevenora View Post
    Smooth and straight ... they buff them so they are not razor sharp.

Blog Entries
    I had my different size square acrylic rulers cut at auto glass repair shop. The price varied from $2 to $18 (26" square) . The edges are smooth. If the guy had scraps that would make the size I wanted he did those for free.
    Got fabric?

Wow! I never thought of going to a glass shop. my husband just cuts them for me in his workshop! I'll remember the glass shop next time tho, I would like to see how they turn out.

My husband is a retired engineer and he makes 95% of my templates and yes, the edges are smooth. If I had to buy them, I could not afford them.

Blog Entries
    I go to our local Lowes and buy a sheet of acrylic and have it cut into whatever size square up rulers I need. I then bring them home and mark with a sharpie. These work great and usually cost about $2-$3.
    Jodyma

My husband has cut me several. We have used scraps from other projects for the smaller ones = FREE

ETA: I bought a 14.5 and an 18.5 for projects I was working on from the local glass place. I believe the two of them were $12 I can't hardly get a single ruler for that

I went to my local glass cutter (got plexi glass) had about 15 templates from a 12.5 inch square to 4 " triangles and the shapes of all the speciality 45 and 90 degree angles I studied all the high $ ones that are advertised i had him cut me a 26" inch 2.5 wide ruler BC i made a lot of 2.5 inch strips and had them all cut for $34.00 ... less than 2 would have cost me. I did find a rough edge or 2 not many but used a piece of sand paper to smooth it

Then Thanks to another quilter here found out I could buy plastic grid sheets I use double side sticky tape to apply mine are all marked now just like purchased ones
    I saved lots of money eBay has the grid sheets cheap

if they are not you can use sand paper to smooth them out just be careful to keep it on the edge

Quote Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
    Wow! I never thought of going to a glass shop. my husband just cuts them for me in his workshop! I'll remember the glass shop next time tho, I would like to see how they turn out.
    Why would you, when you have a DH with the equipment to do so?
    $ave the $$ for other things!

Blog Entries
    I too have made many of my own rulers... I use them all the time. If they are simple square or rectangle I cut them myself and have good luck doing that. I go to our plastics place here and pick up a few large pieces of "scrap" and cut my needed pieces from them. If I need a curved piece I have my husband cut it for me with his electric bandsaw. It's easy to buff the edges as well, just use very fine grit sandpaper and polish it carefully.

To make permanent markings on them I carefully align a metal rule excactly where I want it and use a scribe to make a scratch in the plastic... you have to be careful doing this as it is permanent... If you want to see that mark easily then simply go over the scratch with a fine tip sharpie.. Perfect rulers for pennies.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...AC3300A534.png Life is good when you're busy with babies.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    My husband has cut me several. We have used scraps from other projects for the smaller ones = FREE

ETA: I bought a 14.5 and an 18.5 for projects I was working on from the local glass place. I believe the two of them were $12 I can't hardly get a single ruler for that
    MARYLANE what does your husband use to cut the pexiglass, my husband tried to make me an extension table for my sewing mmachine to fit my table I use and the pexi started to melt on the cuts after a few inches. He says he will try again if I find out what everyone is using to cut with. I have allkinds of rulers and templates I want him to cut for me.
    It's always sunny here in Fl unless it's raining,LOL

Yes, please let us know what you use to cut with as I know that you can melt the plastic if you don't use the correct blade. Thanks

I have used blue painters tape on clear rulers, including those already marked. This way I can mark the lines I'm using for a particular pattern and don't have to strain my eyes to figure out which line I'm aiming for each time.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I had some cut at the local hardware store. When I got home and cut some fabric found out they weren't the right size even though I had given him the measurements. Didn't think to check before I used them. Just trusted them to cut what I asked for. Also my edges weren't smooth.

Oh a 24 inch or 26 inch long 2 1/2 wide would be wonderful

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast