Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't pitch it! I want it! >

Don't pitch it! I want it!

Don't pitch it! I want it!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 AM

My Mom had a Singer treadle machine that I learned to sew on when I was a little girl. When she died, it was at my brothers house and when I went to visit him, the machine was sitting out in the yard, some drawers were missing and it had been rained on. I was furious because she kept the machine in tip top shape. I should have brought it home, but at that time didn't think about restoration. Every time I think about this I get upset.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 AM

I bet his mother even has fabric some where in there. lol should ask him about it???
Old 12-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Awesome! Sounds like a great friendship!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:49 PM

I'm jealous. I want a treadle machine. I just inherited an
old Singer Feather Weight. DH and I are refurbishing it. I can't wait to try it.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:03 PM

Are you going to make him something using the machine as a "thank you"? Wouldn't that be cool?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:04 PM

I have one but needs a belt. My girls think it is such a jewel!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:38 PM

it is easy enough to get a belt, try your local sew n vac place. Love your crazy avatar quilt BTW!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:45 PM

if you need any parts, get in touch with lostin51. he can supply what you need at very reasonable prices.

as for helping him clean up, the place probably hasn't been cleaned up in years and he's too embarrassed to have anyone see it. a very common occurrence when aging children take care of old parents. i'll bet that when it's time for you to have it, he has it right near the door or out on the porch or something. bake him a thank-you cake or cookies or something else homemade. he's sure to appreciate that.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:29 PM

I remember my mom making me dresses and my 5 brothers and dad shirts on hers back in the 50's.[Earlier but I was born in 53] I always told her I wanted it . In 74 I got married and she still used it. We went to Germany,for 9 yrs and mu one rotten brother[who is sooooo greedy and collected antiques] talked her out of it. I was so upset. [He had no wife at times and didn't sew] Well, to make a story worse, A year or so he got married for the 4th, yes I said 4th time, his new wife got him to have a huge auction and sold it. We don't talk. He screwed that up when he was horrible when my dad passed] I only found out cause I seen his wife's FB and she had a bunch of pictures of what they sold. I was just heartbroken. Guess that is life but still hurts.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by marlene tarzwell
I remember my mom making me dresses and my 5 brothers and dad shirts on hers back in the 50's.[Earlier but I was born in 53] I always told her I wanted it . In 74 I got married and she still used it. We went to Germany,for 9 yrs and my one rotten brother[who is sooooo greedy and collected antiques] talked her out of it. I was so upset. [He had no wife at times and didn't sew] Well, to make a story worse, A year or so he got married for the 4th, yes I said 4th time, his new wife got him to have a huge auction and sold it. We don't talk. He screwed that up when he was horrible when my dad passed] I only found out cause I seen his wife's FB and she had a bunch of pictures of what they sold. I was just heartbroken. Guess that is life but still hurts.oops went through2 times