Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dose anyone here collect old wooden spools of thread?

I just keep my own empty spools. I heard someone tell of going to an auction where a lady had a bushel basket of empty spools so decided to see if I could have that many. I have them scattered around in shoe boxes, etc. and I imagine I'm on my second bushel by now. I need to find a basket and see how many I really have. I don't want anyone else's spools. Just want to see how many I have emptied and it is a bunch.
    Alice the quilter

Blog Entries
    I have a bunch of thread that was my mother's, plus thread that my DN gave me when his wife passed. I don't use the thread, as it becomes very brittle with age. I also like the look of the thread colors on the old spools. DDIL gave me an antique thread holder that I have thread on. All I can think of, is when I pass on to the great quilting room in the sky, my family is going to come into my sewing room and GASP and wonder what in the world I was saving all that "junk" for. I have old zippers, snaps on a card for 10cents.....

I made a lamp with my collection. Had to ask all my friends for their wooden spools to fill it! Now just need a lamp shade and viola!!!! Can't wait to finish it.
    Thanks for starting this thread, great question!!!

Blog Entries
    Just purchased a couple of tins and a sewing basket of wooden spools at an auction, some still have thread on them. I just love wooden spools -- especially the little ones with silk thread still on them.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

That lot in the photo would set one back by approximately $371.00 if it is polyester and approximately $650.00 if it is cotton-so not likely to collect too many spools...lol!

Blog Entries
    I don't collect wooden spools, but have a large cookie tin full of them that belonged to my mom. I look at them every once in a while. I can almost see her small hands working with them.

Blog Entries
    I have my Mom's from when she downsized and moved into an apartment. Pretty sure my Grandma's are in there too. Abd, your colors of thread are gorgeous!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Jim
    There are about a dozen in my mothers sewing basket. When she died last year its about all I took. No one wanted it and didn't realize it's value to me.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    WOW, what a find.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    Me too! If the thread is still strong, and poly thread should be, I'd use it first.
    Stephanie in Mena

Sure do! They make some of the cutest gifts ever. My favorite is to make it like a little drum, then lay drumsticks crossed on the top, attach thread and they make a super cute Christmas tree ornament. Also you can wrap little scraps of fabric, now where would you find scraps. around the middle and then glue them to the edges of of piece of cork and make a message board for a sewing friend. This turns out super cute.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Very cool. Good for you on your find. I do collect empty wooden spools, don't see many any more!

I have some that I have bought at estate sales and some that were used when I was growing up, as my Mother, aunts and Grmas sewed and quilted. I would love to have some more and one of the boxes. I can PM you to find out price and give you my address.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes i do, I have a big vase full and started on my second one also have some on an old thread holder on the wall. I have some in a quart jar that I turned into a candle holder in my room.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

I have a collection of spools in jars but now that I'm in a smaller space(sewing) I can't display them. Some of them have a 05 cent price still on them I also had a collection of ric rac that sold for .15 cents.
    Kathy Osterby

I like the idea of oranments. Thats neat!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
    I just bought some "Made in America": Spun Dee thread by American Thread, from what I understand its the old Coats & Clarke, 1970's Polyester. Great thread! Here's part of my lot. There is tons more. I thought I would make ornaments to give my quilting friends.
    I have used wooden spools collected from mom, aunt and myself. Husband glued them to the sides of a shadow box he made for me to hold a collection of needles , thimbles etc.

I collect them also, I have tons of them, got some at yard sales some people don't know what they have

Blog Entries
    I have some of my grandmother's and mother-in-law's.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I collect also..I probably have hundreds...need to sit down someday and count..been collecting vintage sewing items for a long time..have a lady who is sending me some more soon...YEAH!!!
    Love all the ideas posted using them...need to try some of them...I want to make the wreath of spools...that sounds great...did a small one with a cute little sewing kit..took it apart and glued onto small wreath for my wall...Name:  Kinda cute 002 (2).JPG
Views: 184
Size:  76.1 KB

Oh how fun yeah

I have a couple dozen, different sizes and different brands, displayed in clear jars.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I hate to think of how many I've throw away over the years. It seemed like such a waste but never knew what to do with them. I do have some that belonged to my great grandmother. There are several spools of silk thread to mend ladies stockings.

I still toss the current thread spools in a bottom sewing drawer for keeping. I remember sewing with my small kids at my feet or nearby and giving the spool to play with or stringing some on yarn for them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2