Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Batting - Which to Put on top? >

Double Batting - Which to Put on top?

Double Batting - Which to Put on top?

Old 10-29-2019, 10:17 AM

Default Double Batting - Which to Put on top?

I'm making a comforter for our bed. Our previous comforter had cotton batting (not sure which one) but was made with a heavy upholstery material on top, so it was super warm and had that heavy feel to it. My husband likes that. I am redecorating and got some upholstery material, although a little lighter and think I want do a wool batting with maybe cotton. I was thinking of the middle loft. I always use Quilters Dream. If I do this, which should go on top - the wool or cotton? Also, since I will be getting this quilt dry cleaned, will wool and cotton dry clean? Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

LaDonna
Old 10-29-2019, 11:58 AM

I know if you are quilting for definition, the wool goes on top, but I don't know anything more than that.

Hopefully, you'll get more answers soon.

Watson
Old 10-29-2019, 05:31 PM

When I use 2 layers, it is usually to get a lot of loft in the quilting, like trapunto, so I use a warm and natural type on the bottom and a thicker batting on top. For the purposes of quilting/warmth, it doesn't matter if the thicker batting is on the top or bottom..batting quilted farther apart makes warmer quilts than batting stitched very densely. Just be sure not to quilt farther apart than the manufacturer's recommendations on the package. I would try a practice sandwhich and see what I liked best, one or the other on top.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:38 PM

Most of the time when quilters are double-batting, it's because they're going to enter the quilt in a show and the wool goes on top, because it showcases the quilting best.

If you're not that interested in showing off the quilting, then I don't think it matters which batting goes where.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:00 PM

be sure to check your wool batting package to see if it's washable or dry cleanable--most these days are washable, not sure about dry cleaning. Normally I put the wool on top because I'm doublign for definition. Wish it being for weight and warmth, I might put the wool next to sleeper as it "breathes" best and would keep the sleeper from getting sweaty.