Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Star quilt/block >

Double Star quilt/block

Double Star quilt/block

Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 PM

Default Double Star quilt/block

Has anyone made this quilt? In the method instructed here?
http://quilting.about.com/od/babyqui...ouble_star.htm

This thing is making me crazy! First off, the cutting directions are incorrect - which I didn't discover until VERY late in the game. Second, it seems to be very wasteful. But my real issue is they way they have you putting the block together with partial seams. Either I'm really dense or it's just not being explained very well...at least for me. I'm contemplating hand sewing the units just because it might be easier than dealing with the machine for this.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Kim
Old 10-24-2013, 03:34 PM

I have not, but I have attempted other patterns that confused me. I hope someone will be able to assist you more specifically.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:19 PM

The instructions for sewing partial seams is there. You have to use the numbers below the instructions on the first page to follow through on subsequent pages. There are five pages altogether in the instructions. Partial seam construction is on page four. On that page, on step number three, there is a link to click to constucting a different block, which is also done with partial seams. When you click on that block's name (it's in blue), the partial seams method is on page two of the instructions for that block. There is a nice diagram to show it. You should be able to follow it, I think. I've never done partial seams, but I agree it's a simple concept which is a bit confusing to follow. I suspect it's one of those things which is really easy to remember once you've done it.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 PM

Partial seams are necessary for this block because there is no other way to get the centre square inside the rest of the block. The Hope of Hartford block is much the same as this. Once you work through it, step by step it won't be so difficult. I've always thought that it was an interesting block so your quilt should look great.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 PM

Try Quilter's Cache, maybe her directions will be more clear for you.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 PM

It's a beautiful pattern. I'm sure one of the experts here will be able to provide you with the missing link.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 PM
DJ

I've done blocks with partial seams. It's not hard once you get the hang of it and understand the reason behind it. Good luck. It's a beautiful quilt.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I tried following the instructions in the subsequent pages but it just wasn't clicking. Maybe too late in my sewing day at that point. I get the necessity for the partials, the diagrams just weren't 'clicking' yesterday. I've done Y seams and even partial seams in other projects in the past. It shouldn't be this difficult!

Every time I get myself in one of these quandaries I vow to read directions more thoroughly before I pick a project. Well, I guess I've slept since the last time I made that promise to myself. I'm making this for a baby boy quilt and, of course, the fabric I picked for the main focal is very directional. Oh well, it will all work out.

Will give it another shot this AM. Hopefully it will all make a bit more sense today.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:18 AM

The pattern is very pretty. Examine it closely and look at how the pieces lay. You might be able to figure out a different way to sew it. Partial seams are okay. But, takes some getting used to. I'm like you. I think it would be easier to sew by hand than on a machine. Good luck. Maybe someone here can give you some advice. I like a challenge. This one certainly looks like it could be difficult.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Well folks, I seem to have figured out the partial seam issue. The blocks are now coming along, even if a bit slowly. Tedious process but they are looking good! Thanks for all the help.