Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Wedding Ring......h.e.l.p. me please

Many months ago I prepared all of my fabric for a double wedding ring quilt - I have been putting it off because I knew it was going to challenge me and now I am pulling out my hair and crying. Now my sister wanted earthy colors and that is what I have given her but I just cannot seem to get this going right. The pattern is from McCall's Quilting (one of their free ones) and the arcs are paperpieced (this was the easy part).
    I have attached a pic - why do I have the puckers? when it lays flat the center puckers up. It says not to remove the paper until the quilt is all sewn together. Ready to cry and pull my hair out and I have only sewn two seams!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I am doing the DWR by fylnn. How he has us set the football is after the 2 end pieces are added to the one side then add the 2nd ring.

I have made several, and most of the puckers pressed out. I don't know if that is the problem or not
    I never leave the paper in when joining pieces like that together, cause you can't stretch, or ease in to make them fit. to me paper just gets in the way. Maybe you should try one without the paper and see if it works better for you.

I am working on the same pattern, and two things have helped me. First, forget the paper; after the arcs were pieced I had better luck marking my seam lines with pencil and removing the paper. Second, I switched to hand piecing the curves.

Just stick with it, we will get there together!

I don''t know but it is going to be pretty.

I wouldn't let a few little puckers get in the way of whats turning out to be a beautiful piece. Remember when its quilted and washed you won't even notice. And as you do more you will get a better feel of what the fabric is trying to tell you. =)

The colors are lovely. I've never made one, so I can't offer any advice there, but it sounds like you are getting some good help here. Good luck!

Also, pin pin pin! Curves can be tough, but using more pins than you think you need can help.

Blog Entries
    maybe your stitch length is a bit too small? 2.4 would do well enough.
    so far it looks lovely. keep going hon.

I'm so sorry for your frustration and I'm too inexperienced to be a help, but I love your colors!! Hope you get the help you need.

I am doing one and get those puckers too. I folded the football in half and pinned it to the center of the arc, then went to each end and pinned it so the football had a little ear sticking out. Then I took the part between the middle and end and bowed it up until it "fit", pinched it and then pinned it with the pins angling slightly. It worked much better.

I would take a pic since I have on I am working on right now but my camera's battery is dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    I have made several, and most of the puckers pressed out. I don't know if that is the problem or not
    I never leave the paper in when joining pieces like that together, cause you can't stretch, or ease in to make them fit. to me paper just gets in the way. Maybe you should try one without the paper and see if it works better for you.
    that is a good idea. I will remove the paper from one and try that. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by seamstome
    I am doing one and get those puckers too. I folded the football in half and pinned it to the center of the arc, then went to each end and pinned it so the football had a little ear sticking out. Then I took the part between the middle and end and bowed it up until it "fit", pinched it and then pinned it with the pins angling slightly. It worked much better.

I would take a pic since I have on I am working on right now but my camera's battery is dead!
    Yes, I did mark the center of the arc and the football and pinned and pinned but I will keep trying and see what I end up with. I have too much money invested in this fabric to just set it aside, so I have to do something with it.

This is my favorite pattern, but too scared to try. One day, I will though.

Blog Entries
    Did you sew with the melon on the top?
    Did you cut the melons on the bias?
    Keep the paper on the arcs but not on the melons.

Quote Originally Posted by tellabella
    Did you sew with the melon on the top?
    Did you cut the melons on the bias?
    Keep the paper on the arcs but not on the melons.
    I started out sewing with the melon on the bottom because I was following the 1/4 seam on the paper. and I don't remember if I cut them on the bias or not - the directions did not say one way or the other. I did not use paper on the melons.

Quote Originally Posted by KSue
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    that is a good idea. I will remove the paper from one and try that. thank you.
    I removed the paper from one and it worked much better. It is still a challenge tho!!!

Dee
    It'll be very pretty. Thats one of my future projects.

I have quilted by hand some DWR's and the melons were always full, but hand quilting tames them down. Don't know about machine quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by KSue
    Many months ago I prepared all of my fabric for a double wedding ring quilt - I have been putting it off because I knew it was going to challenge me and now I am pulling out my hair and crying. Now my sister wanted earthy colors and that is what I have given her but I just cannot seem to get this going right. The pattern is from McCall's Quilting (one of their free ones) and the arcs are paperpieced (this was the easy part).
    I have attached a pic - why do I have the puckers? when it lays flat the center puckers up. It says not to remove the paper until the quilt is all sewn together. Ready to cry and pull my hair out and I have only sewn two seams!!!
    I have made several king sized double wedding ring quilts, they pucker also, but quilt out beautifully. By hand of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images

When I made mine, I sewed from the center out and then went to the center again to sew the other way out to the ends. It worked for me. Sometimes like the other ladies say pressing has helped, just hang in there, from the colors its gonna be really pretty!!!!

Here is a video that may help. Ebony uses the AccuQuilt system, but, she has a video on how to sew this. I started to make one about 5 years ago, and will be using her way of sewing it together. Hth.

http://quiltpossible.com/12/29/120/

Steam iron! I've done several, not PP's. I find that a good iron is my best friend with the double wedding ring.

How do you cut the melons on the bias? I am doing the glorified nine patch and the melons have to be worked in. can be messy sometimes. MY question is how would I lay my fabric,.

I don't have any suggestions but I love the colors. Keep at it and I'm sure someone here will have the right info to help you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast