Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Wedding Ring Quilt Pattern

Hello all, Suffering through another hot and humid summer day in coastal South Carolina and counting the months until the weather becomes bearable again. I'm looking for advice about making a double wedding ring quilt. I've researched the different ways to make this quilt and to be perfectly honest, I'm petrified. Has anyone found a pattern that has a few tricks to make this quilt pattern easier, for example, a template, paper piecing, maybe some new cool gadget? I'm an imtermediate quilter and have tackled a number of difficult patterns, but this one has me worried. Thanks, Kathy

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I have a book with the pattern in it with the paper templets to copy from. If you want I can copy it and send it snail mail to you.

I have the Marti Michel set of plexi templates so everthing is cut with a rotary cutter and you mark match points.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you go to Search on the top and type in DWR you will get lots of posts and many useful tips.

When I made mine, I purchase a book that included the acrylic templates (like the ones Ken posted about) from Hobby Loby for around $20. I figured since I was going to spend $125-$150 on fabrics, it was a small investment. It was well worth it at three times the price. So much easier to rotary cut, and mark your matching points, and had step-by-step directions, fabric amounts, everything. I have seen the same book and templates at Joanns and with their coupon it would be a really great deal.

Blog Entries
    Eleanore Burns Egg Money quilts or Quiltsmart, both use a fusible that you attach to the background fabric :thumbup: i am going to be making one soon and that is the system/method I will be using

Blog Entries
    I bought a kit on ebay for my first one. I didn't have to cut anything out.

I used Sharyln Jorgenson's templates and book. Quilting from the Heartland. Very simple, nice heavy templates and good instuctions.

I just took a class using Quilt Smart. This is like fusible interfacing and then the arc's are fused to the background and stitched with invisible thread. It is working out great and is the only way I would ever make one of these, so it works for me. Check it out here: http://www.quiltsmart.com/Pages/mo_d...dding_ring.htm

Look at this one on Simply Quilts. The Rings that Bind is the book about it and my book came with the arc tool. No curved piecing and it is quilt as you go.

http://www.hgtv.com/video/wedding-ri...deo/index.html

I caught a clip on Jorgensens method. I made one years ago before rotary cutters and I can see how this new method is really easy. Also, she shows how to shuffle so that each side is not a mirror image of the other. Makes it more interesting. That's how I would do it if I were to ever make another one

There is a wonderful tute on this site. Done by Patrice. It's really a lot of help.

Blog Entries
    I have the templates from Joannes, sorry don't remember the name, but, I've made two so far and can hardly wait to be able to do one for myself. The first one was for a customer and the second was for a friend's wedding. The templates make it so easy. Don't be intimated, the hardest part is cutting out all those pieces, the rest is fun and it goes together so easy...enjoy and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Eleanore Burns Egg Money quilts or Quiltsmart, both use a fusible that you attach to the background fabric :thumbup: i am going to be making one soon and that is the system/method I will be using
    I found the instructions with the cutting template online as a PDF, I just received a "panel" of the printed interfacing that I ordered. I am going to just buy interfacing and trace the pieces. It will be cheaper than paying 3 dollars and change for a panel of pre-printed. I think I might take the cutting template and have it cut out of plexiglass or acrylic for easier cutting. Might even make it smaller since there seems to be a lot of waste.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have a book with the pattern in it with the paper templets to copy from. If you want I can copy it and send it snail mail to you.
    that would not be legal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    There is a wonderful tute on this site. Done by Patrice. It's really a lot of help.
    thanks for the "plug". :-)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-4260-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Elenor Burns / Quiltsmart...egg money quilts is the book. the fusable interfacing from quiltsmart makes it almost fool proof! fast and easy with a great turn out. i used the quiltsmart interfacing for the first lonestar i did and what a difference it makes!

Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I found the instructions with the cutting template online as a PDF, I just received a "panel" of the printed interfacing that I ordered. I am going to just buy interfacing and trace the pieces. It will be cheaper than paying 3 dollars and change for a panel of pre-printed. I think I might take the cutting template and have it cut out of plexiglass or acrylic for easier cutting. Might even make it smaller since there seems to be a lot of waste.
    As I posted above, I just took a class for the Quilt Smart DWW last weekend. I agree that the interfacing template stuff is expensive, but it does make it easier. The class came with a template to cut the wedges. If you try tracing on regular interfacing, please let me know how it works out. The expense of the interfacing is what is making me hesitate about making a full sized quilt. Thanks.

The third quilt I ever made was a DWR. I used John Flynn's method. I saw him on "Simply Quilts" years ago. He was an engineer before he started quilting. Because of his wonderful engineering/mathematical background, he devised a way to make DWR using strip piecing. I would suggest getting the templates he makes also, which are based on the ring size you want to make. Because you use strip piecing, you see progress rather quickly compared to other methods where you cut all the tiny squares. Here are a couple links to his books/templates:

http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/sho...ring-workbook/

http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/sho...-wedding-ring/

Good Luck,
    Joan

Thank you all so much for the information. Still not sure which way I'll go, but now I have more choices. You're all fantastic to share with me. Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by happy_lady
    Thank you all so much for the information. Still not sure which way I'll go, but now I have more choices. You're all fantastic to share with me. Kathy
    I'm working on a Double Wedding Ring Quilt at the present time when I started I was scared to death, I got Marti Mitchell's templates and I'm so very glad I did as it has made it so easy the book also come with the templates. I'm about half finished piecing the quilt and it is going so smooth I made pillow shams also and quilted them for practice and they turned out great when I'm finished I will try to post my first picture, this is for my DGD wedding next June. Just take your time you will do great

I used the Book Rings That Bind. It comes with the ruler. It was rather easy.

I also used John Flynns method for the double wedding ring. I did find it to be simple and his directions were easy to follow. My only problem was that it was my first time ever working with curves. In hindsight, I wish I would have had a little more experience before jumping into such a challenge. I did really enjoy it and it turned out beautifully. Good Luck!

If you have the accu go they are now selling the die for the double wedding ring so cutting is not a issue. I used Shar Jorgenson templates and it was a lot of cutting but very easy. Hope that helps

When my dd told me she was getting married I had to hurry up and finish the one I started. I wanted to make the traditional wedding ring but at that rate it would have taken a lot longer than I had time. I searched and found one that was strip pieced but it didn't go together right. I ran across Eleanor Burns book several have mentioned and combined the two. It really went together easy and it turned out really pretty. Here is a pic. Not a real good pic but you can get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast