Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Double wedding ring quilt

Double wedding ring quilt

I am thinking about making a double wedding ring quilt for my nephews wedding. I wanted to pick up some fabric here and there and then really get started sewing in early march.

I am looking at some templates, but there are no yardage recommendations. I understand the back ground will be bulk of the fabric and I will probably buy that last.

I am planning on a queen size - a big queen to have plenty to hang down the side of the bed.

Does anyone have any ideas how much fabric the rings themselve would need ( approximately - I know I will change) I am expecting Christmas bonus in a few weeks so I wanted to get the template and a good start on the fabric when I have that money

I am thinking scrappy rings.. so I will be purchasing a number of different fabrics.... If I got 1/2 yard of 6 different fabrics do you think that would be a good start for the rings?

There are various ways of making these quilts so that would be the first choice you need to make. Acrylic templates are really the only way to go since this quilt with it's curves need precise piecing.
    Here is a free pattern and fabric requirements:
    https://www.simplicity.com/t-free-qu...ding-ring.aspx

Don't know why it takes you to the main page. Here is where it is located:
    Home : Classroom: Quilting: Free Quilt Patterns: Double Wedding Ring
    Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 11-24-2015 at 05:54 AM.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Thank you!!

I'm making a DWR with Marti Michell templates right now. When I started I wasn't good with curves but it is coming together perfect. I recommend it if you choose to go with templates.

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    I would find a paper pieced pattern. Seems easier than templates. I used John Flynns book when I did mine. Long time ago.

You can get the fusible foundations at www.quiltsmart.com. Click on "Classic Packs" for the Double Wedding Ring. You sew and flip, and can use 2.5" strips rather than cutting all those little pieces. John Flynn also has laser cut double wedding ring kits.

I got an ad in my email today from Fons & Porter advertising a scrappy DWR kit. Since I wasn't in the market for it, I didn't pay close attention to the details, but I noticed that the pieces were precut. I imagine it's pretty pricy, but might be worth checking out. And I made a Texas Lone Star with the fusible foundations at quiltsmart that mckwilter mentioned and it turned out great, so that's another option for a DWR pattern.

This is the pre cut kit. I took a look because I too would like to make one. $299. Don't know how that compares to yardage. Of course, you save a lot of time!!!

http://www.shopfonsandporter.com/pro...t/best-sellers

wow!! thanks everyone for the links and tips. Not sure what I am going to do but now I have some things to check into before I get started

That kit looks awesome - but wow I could buy alot of fabric for $299...
    Last edited by meyert; 11-24-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Creative grid has a ruler set that makes it look easier. I have the Judy Niemeyer pattern. I started it years ago, one day I will get it done.

I haven't yet started my DWR but have been collecting 30s style fabrics for some time now as I want it to be similar to the one I had for many years. I'm sure I have way more than I will need, as I have a fairly large tupper full. Lol! The pieces I have vary in size from 3" squares to yardage.

here is some precut kits, more affordable
    http://www.nvo.com/hearthside/favori...quilts&UID=105
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Wish you lived close - I have the Accuquilt Go dies and we could cut that puppy out in a short amount of time.

A friend of mine and I did it - she is making a King size quilt for her daughter. She opted for the arcs to be solid, but I don't remember there being a dramatic amount of fabric because the pieces nest well. You just need to decide how many rings across and how many down and go from there.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 11-24-2015 at 09:46 PM.

My go to when I want to do something different. http://www.keepsakequilting.com/cata...e+wedding+ring
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    The quiltsmart fusible foundation is a great way to go! I love the precision you achieve and it goes much faster than dealing with template and lots of bias edges. I've used many of their foundations over the years. My favorite for wedding rings, lone Stars and game quilts.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Eleanor burns has a video on her way too......also Ebony Love has a tute on YouTube, although she cuts the pieces with dies, her method of construction is informative...and does Phillips something ----- the company that offers squedge templates, also have a pattern...called rings or something similar. I still have not attempted dwr
    ---

I loved doing my scrappy using my Accuquilt Go and the tute by Ebony Love. My first one was done with templates that I manually cut. The second one with the Accuquilt Go went together much easier and looked so much better. Good Luck in which ever way you decide to go. I think it was a fun quilt to make. Plan on making another one after the first of the year.
    Sophie2

I made a DWR QS quilt as a surprise wedding gift for my daughter 2 years ago. I used Cheryl Phillips 'Rings that Bind' pattern that includes the acrylic templates. It has different sizes, ideas, layouts. Great pattern!

I made one earlier this year and I used the paper pieced method; arcs came out perfect.

Power Poster
    Eleanor Burns has a pattern for a Double Wedding Ring quilt and gives the yardage necessary. Hope this helps.

Has anyone done one with the triangle pieces, sometimes called Pickle Dish. My Grandmother had a dwr quilt her mother had made using that pattern but with the white background and all scrappy triangles.

I agree with ladydukes, Rings that bind by Cheryl Phillips is the easiest & fastest way to make the DWR. She shows how easy it is in a you tube with Kaye Woods. With her method, when you finish one block, the back is also finished. It would really be worth you while to check it out. Just go to Kaye Woods site & inter Rings that Bind tut.