Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Downy Quilts for Kids >

Downy Quilts for Kids

Downy Quilts for Kids

Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 PM

thanks so much for sharing this site with all of us; I just went and volunteered to make one for them too. They sound like a wonderful group to be working with and I will try to do several for them too. You ladies are so super!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 AM

Cindy Lou Who: Can you tell us a bit more about the X-Block ruler? Where can you purchase it, and what particular pattern are you speaking of?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM

I've received my Downy quilt kit, but haven't started it yet. I've got one project ahead of it now, so should be able to start on it next week. I'll post pics when done. It is a great cause...and it's kind of fun to see what fabric they send you.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:16 AM

Cindy Lou Who I want to thank you for posting about the ruler. I found it and a book that this pattern is actually in! thank you again

Originally Posted by NHSOMND
Cindy Lou Who: Can you tell us a bit more about the X-Block ruler? Where can you purchase it, and what particular pattern are you speaking of?

This was in referance to the link I posted back on page one asking about a pattern. The ruler is pretty cool and there are tons of patterns that can be done with it. It is called the X block ruler, I don't have the book but from the looks of it you sew a nine patch together and then cut it lining this "funky line" ruler up on the seams giving you a kinda wonky nine patch, once they are sewn together there are all sorts of things you can do with them. You can also sew simple strips together and cut them using the same ruler and get a totally different look. Pretty cool. I found it by googling X Block Ruler.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:04 PM

The ruler is actually called the X-block ruler and comes in different sizes, like 6.5 inch and 7.5 inch. By using this ruler you can make 9 patches, put the ruler on top of the 9-patch and then cut at wonky angles. The ruler comes with a few patterns telling you how to use it, but my guild used a "Topsy-Twosy" pattern by Patricia Pepe of Quilt Queen Designs. The ruler comes from Quilt Queen Designs also. Can get some really interesting patterns using this ruler. If I can figure out how to post photos I will post of my two quilts- one throw size and one more of wall size hanging. It was great fun and made me feel really creative since fabric choice made all the difference in the world in how everyone's top looked.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but had a new grandbaby born 5 weeks early and in NICU for 4 weeks. No time to quilt or play for a little while. Things are good now though!
Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Justwannaquilt:
Did you find the pattern you were looking for? I found it on Quiltersbus.com It is called Pocket full of posies.