Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draft dodger

http://www.ethelbird.com/product.php...cat=552&page=1

Description says it can be used as a pillow (okay, I'm with it so far) or a "draft dodger". What in the heck is a draft dodger? I mean, besides the people who went to Canada during Vietnam....?? Is my fabric going to move to Canada after I buy it? :shock: :shock:

Blog Entries
    :lol: You lay it in front of the door to prevent drafts from coming in under the door...

You put it on the floor in front of an outside door -- helps to keep the warm air in and the "drafts" out..... :D :D

I've also seen them used on window sills but I don't know how effective they would be there.

A draft dodger is a stuffed fabric tube you put on the floor in front of your door or in your window sill. It keeps a draft of cold air from coming into the room and cooling it down. So, you could make this and stuff it with polyfil and put it down to keep your room warmer.

Oh, that makes sense! Not as amusing as my explanation though ;)

What if my window panes suck to begin with and let in the cold all around? :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    http://www.ethelbird.com/product.php...cat=552&page=1

Description says it can be used as a pillow (okay, I'm with it so far) or a "draft dodger". What in the heck is a draft dodger? I mean, besides the people who went to Canada during Vietnam....?? Is my fabric going to move to Canada after I buy it? :shock: :shock:
    After I read the title of the thread I was fixing to load my shotgun and find the sorry so an so!!

But I have seen the ones that they sell on TV that you slip the foam insert into to keep the "Draft" from getting you.

Now if you have any trouble with the fabric trying to run off you just call me and I will take care of it for you!!!

Billy

I made a draft dodger when I lived in indiana.Cause I had a bad breath coming in from the bottom of the door.It worked real good an I don't need it here yet but if I go to getting a draft here I have some foam stuff that I can put around the door first.

After I read the title of the thread I was fixing to load my shotgun and find the sorry so an so!!

But I have seen the ones that they sell on TV that you slip the foam insert into to keep the "Draft" from getting you.

Now if you have any trouble with the fabric trying to run off you just call me and I will take care of it for you!!!

Billy[/quote]

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Me and my fabric are a little scared now. It's staying put!!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL @ Lucy! Is your age showing on the draft dodger thing?? :D

Banned
    Where is the "draft dodger"?!?

Hello Kitty wants to play!! :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Billy
    Attached Images Attached Images

LMAO!

What a funny pic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Oh Billy!!! I would hate to run into your and Miss Kitty :roll: :roll: I would probably laugh my self to death...you wouldn't even have to pull the trigger :wink: :lol: :lol:

Always get a laugh out of something here!....when I was growing up in England we called them draft stoppers...but here in Australia they are often called "door snakes". I made one for one of our doors, stuffed it with clean sawdust, that way it's heavy enough to stay put, and if not overfilled you can kind of manoevre it around a bit for the perfect fit.

I'm having a hard time imagining a Tucson draft cold enough to need dodging, Lucy. :shock: Not even close to what we get up here in NH. :roll:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    Oh, that makes sense! Not as amusing as my explanation though ;)

What if my window panes suck to begin with and let in the cold all around? :D
    you can use on windows and doors to keep drafts out

Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Always get a laugh out of something here!....when I was growing up in England we called them draft stoppers...but here in Australia they are often called "door snakes". I made one for one of our doors, stuffed it with clean sawdust, that way it's heavy enough to stay put, and if not overfilled you can kind of manoevre it around a bit for the perfect fit.
    Draft stoppers make more sense. You want to stop the draft, not have it dodge around your fabric

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I'm having a hard time imagining a Tucson draft cold enough to need dodging, Lucy. :shock: Not even close to what we get up here in NH. :roll:
    Thankfully true. I get cold below 60 degrees tho :(

LOL..I lived in Tucson once and it was 80 degrees on Christmas Day, so I think like Ghostrider on this one.
    I had to move back to Texas just to enjoy Christmas
    in the cold..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    LOL..I lived in Tucson once and it was 80 degrees on Christmas Day, so I think like Ghostrider on this one.
    I had to move back to Texas just to enjoy Christmas
    in the cold..lol
    Christimas in the cold? I thought Christmas time was supposed to be warm.......

Banned
    I have some friends in Australia (Tasmania) and their Christmas tradition is having a picnic at the beach.

Billy

Yes, it get's pretty hot in Western Australia round Christmas. Some people here miss a cold Christmas so much they have "Christmas in July"...just so they can enjoy all that winter/Christmas fare!

PS: back to the draft stopper, if you sew a ribbon loop on one end you can hang it on the doorknob when not in use, saves tripping over it.

i've seen them stuffed with sand in a plastic bag and then covered with fabric. they had fabric loops for carrying them around or maybe just moving them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Where is the "draft dodger"?!?

Hello Kitty wants to play!! :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Billy
    I think i'd have to faint if I seen you coming

:) I have a friend that makes the draft dodgers, and she uses sand to fill it. so that it stays in place. the insulation is more affective that way keeping more cool air out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast