Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drawing and FMQ >

Drawing and FMQ

Drawing and FMQ

Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 AM

there is a rhythm to drawing and a rhythm to FMQ but if you don't practice and learn to relax those shoulders they will both look like crap. It takes practice but if you never learn to relax even stencils won't help much.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Not true. I couldn't draw a straight line by pin & paper but I can use my longarm. For one thing you have panto and other means of patterns also mine has locks for lines both ways. I do when I have time doodle with paper and pin and it is different on the longarm but if I can do it anyone can do it. Don't believe everything you hear about longarms, check them our your self.
Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I read a post earlier today that made me stop and think. The poster said, and this isn't an exact quote, "If you can't draw with a pencil you won't be able to draw with a sewing machine." :shock:

I have all the technical aspects of FMQ down. My practice sandwiches are pucker free, stitch length is fairly even throughout. Yet, they still look like crap because I can't draw my way out of a paper sack and have never had the ability. I honestly didn't realize how much being able to draw mattered! No wonder FMQ has been an exercise in frustration for me. Even my stippling and meandering has the look of something being tortured.

I'm going shopping for stencils.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks for that website. I take those pattern and draw over and over on those lines to practice for my longarm.
Originally Posted by kat13
Another site that has free designs is http://www.forestquilting.com I trace a design on tracing
paper then pin to the quilt and follow the lines..you can
practice on a quilt sandwich of scraps. Coloring books are
good also for designs..good luck!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:57 PM

Don't give up - you need to practice. My machine - an older Elna - but a lovely and loving machine nevertheless - does not have an adjustable bobbin and the back of my FMQ looks worse than horrible. Can't afford one of the newer machines that have other adjustments. I can do smaller quilted pieces by starts and stops, but nothing like a large quilt and certainly not a very expansive pattern. I've used the stippling paper and it kinda sorta looks good, but other than those... So keep practicing and get good!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM

I cut some fabric and batting in 12 inch squares and put them together for practice and they are still in the bag, under a table in sewing room. I can't learn that way!!!! See the faces on the ghosts kids I made. That is my best drawing. That was 7 yrs ago and I am probably worse now.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 PM

I don't think that you have to able to Draw, I have a tremor in my hand and could never draw, BUT I can free motion quilt.
I taught a couple of young girls to Free motion. by having them start by free motioning their names. it worked well for them you might might want to give it a try.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
This is what I have a hard time wrapping my brain around.

If you are drawing on paper you are holding the paper still and moving the pencil.
If you are FMQ on a domestic machine MOST times you are moving the quilt(paper) and the machine (pencil) stays still.
To me it is a totally different feel .
Oh boy am I glad to hear someone else feels this way. That is what I just cannot wrap my head (or hands) around. I'm pretty good when I only have to move the pen with one hand (and no feet) but pushing the quilt with two hands and trying to coordinate my foot along with it is just a nightmare! :cry:
Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I originally trained as an Art teacher, and I don't really agree with the idea that you present. I think if you practice your drawing and sewing then both will improve. You are possibly being too tough on yourself too soon. No one becomes a marvellous quilter overnight - it takes practice. I hope you persevere with it a bit longer, as there will come a time when everything will click into place and you will have a eureka moment.
Oh I hope my Eureka moment comes soon!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM

I have enjoyed following the design on the fabric, whether it is flowers or animals, I outline them. When I quilt a OBW I curve out then in to form a pedal around a seam. I find that this is successful for me on my domestic machine. I also like to stitch 1/2 beside a ditch. I have found echo quilting another way to quilt. I have used bubbles too. I wish you success.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM

Find the thinnest, cheapest copy paper you can find, and use clip art as designs? I have done this to get my painting stencils converted to sewing motifs. Pin on all corners, and follow the lines. Tear away when you are finished. (Use shorter stitches)