Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this a dream job?!

Is this a dream job?!

I retired from my job of 25 years a few years ago and lately have been feeling a little bored. I was offered a part time job at a quilt shop in our little town and jumped at the chance. I have a new appreciation for quilt shop owners an all that goes into managing a business like this. The customers are great and so far my checks have actually made it home - although I don't think that will last very long.

Sounds like a good fit to me!

Yup, it's a dream job.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good for you to find a dream job. I retired for good 12/31/16 and now I sew making quilts 4-5 hours a day, perfect for me. I donate them to kids that must e removed from their homes. Makes me feel good.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    It will make a good transition for you. But soon you will be too busy being retired to work. lol

This was my dream job after I retired and before we moved south...LOL...I usually ended up owing Caroline at the end of each pay period. I really enjoyed working there...quilters in general are a great bunch of people!!!
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

Years ago I was offered a job at a quilt shop which I immediately turned down, I told the owner instead of making money I would be spending all my paycheck in the shop. I would love to be able to do it but can't. Good luck with your job.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I'm getting closer to retirement, and figured I'd get good with the LA as a possible source of income (and to keep from being bored silly) after retirement.

Then one day at the LQS, I noticed the owner talking to her accountant, who then got in the car and left, and it dawned on me I already have the skills for an excellent part time job after I retire - doing part time accounting for small businesses.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Power Poster
    Have fun! I space out my cutting now so as it to aggravate my shoulders so not an option for me.

Jingle, it's a great thing to have a little quilt a child can take away. Good for you!!
    Charlie DiSante

Blog Entries
    That would spell financial ruin for me!!! But what a way to go
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Wow! You get to see all the new stuff as soon as it come out. Kiss the paycheck goodbye.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

LOL I found my dream job. It's doing exactly what I want to do when I want to do it. It's called retirement.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    LOL I found my dream job. It's doing exactly what I want to do when I want to do it. It's called retirement.
    LOL, me too!!

I'm getting closer to retirement and have definitely thought that would be a fun thing to do. Being around beautiful fabrics all day. Heaven!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

After a move mid-year, I took a break from teaching and managed a fabric shop. I was in the office and not on the floor much. I still have fabric I bought with my discount. Met some nice people, disagreed with management who insisted we totally move everything in the store all around every month. This was to stimulate sales as customers would walk through areas to find their wants. All it did was have people say things like "Where are the buttons this month"? and go to other stores. Have fun!

Yes! It is the best job I've ever had!' Glad you found your perfect job too.

We should all be dreaming like that...how fun would that be??

I have often wondered if working in a quilt/ fabric store would be like working for a donut shop. After the first week you would be so sick of donuts.......nah!

Blog Entries
    Congrats on the dream job! You've been great at resisting the temptations...maybe working with the fabrics will help you maintain your resistance to the beauty. :-) Enjoy and good luck!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Years ago I worked in a fabric store and learned so much. I hope it will be time well spent and enjoyed.

Congratulations! Sounds great to me!

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I'm not sure I could do it. I'm addicted to fabric so it would be like an alcoholic working in a brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Good for you to find a dream job. I retired for good 12/31/16 and now I sew making quilts 4-5 hours a day, perfect for me. I donate them to kids that must e removed from their homes. Makes me feel good.
    Jingle, do the kids get to keep those quilts when they get moved again? I wonder if Childrens Services makes any special effort to help the kids keep that one personal thing.

It seems that no matter how many quilts we make for needy children, there are never enough quilts to go around. My guild used to make quilts for people who lost their homes to fire and for children being removed from unsafe homes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast