Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dreaming about Bernina >

Dreaming about Bernina

Dreaming about Bernina

Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Default Dreaming about Bernina

I am getting a bonus at work soon (Xmas) and have decided I want to sell my Bernina 135 that I use as my second machine and my traveling machine, and I want to get a Bernina 430. I used to own a Bernina 440 but sold it last Spring thinking I did not need it since I now have a long arm APQS. Than I bought a 230 for my main machine which is a good machine--bu t I just miss that Bernina 440 So I decided to sell my 135, keep my 230 for my second machine and get a 430. I decided to look for a Bernina 430 since I don't need a walking foot or a BSR --or even the knee lift since I don't use it. But where do I look? Anyone have any suggestions? I live a couple hrs. away from a few quilt stores that sell Berninas and I have my name on their lists in case they get any in--but they said they do not get many 430's in. I do not want to buy a 440 because it will have all the extra things that I don't need--which means the price on the used machine is way higher. Anyone have any suggestions where to look? I have looked at Craig's list but there seems to just be older model machines listed. I am super paranoid about buying one on ebay. Has anyone bought one on ebay? Have you had good experience or bad experience with it? I know some may think I should buey a 500 series but financially, I can't do that. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

The full price of the 550 is not too bad. It is less than I bought my 440 at because it does not have the embroidery capability. Are you looking for new with warranty or used without? I have a Bernina Avtiva as my back up machine and it is a solid basic machine but I don't know if they still sell those.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The full price of the 550 is not too bad. It is less than I bought my 440 at because it does not have the embroidery capability. Are you looking for new with warranty or used without? I have a Bernina Avtiva as my back up machine and it is a solid basic machine but I don't know if they still sell those.
They do not sell the 440 or 430 anymore. I am not looking for the embroidery part of it--again why I can do with a 430(instead of a 440 --to keep the cost down somewhat. I am looking for one--with or without a warranty. I know one of my LQS gives a 1 year warranty on used machines. I do not know if all Quilt stores do that or not. The warranty is not a huge deal for me if I can find one to buy elsewhere--it's just to find one!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 PM

I have both a 430 and a 440. The main difference is the embroidery and a few stitches. I can't tell the difference when sitting down and sewing on them. If you do get a 430 from a dealer, ask them to check the plastic that holds the screws in the front cover may break off. Bernina will replace them free of charge, but must have the orginal owner information. The plastic on my 430 broke off and the screw fell down and did not allow my machine to run properly. They replaced it free of charge. You might be better off getting a 500 series, unless you have a dealer that will back it.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:13 AM

I have the 440 and LOVE it. I don't embroider often, but I use the walking foot all the time when piecing. Also put it on my Bernina quilting frame and use it to do long arm style quilting. It's a work horse.