Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dresden Plate >

Dresden Plate

Dresden Plate

Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
The sides of the blades are on a bias (maybe not a true bias, but more stretchy than being cut on the grain line). If you stretched them when pressing, this could be the issue. I always press the seams of the dresdens open -- not to one side.

You might be able to flatten it if you wet it with starch and pin it flat on your ironing board and letting it dry.
This is how I do it also. And I press after each seam using Best Press, keeps it nice and crispy and no bulging occurs.
The I press towards the dark on each one so that the seams are spread out more.....Love to see what you come up with.
Cathy Miller, the quilting singer, has a song about this. She calls it size "d" cups.....funny song.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer...... no, make the seam just a hair larger than a 1/4 inch. If the edge of your fabric is lined up with the edge of your foot, move the needle to the left, or one click farther away from the edge of the presser foot. That should do the trick!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM

I do not use the iron, I use a bone folder to press and only use iron when all the blades are sewn together.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Thanks for this thread! I have been cutting blades as I go along and didn't know this was going to be hard! But with all of your great ideas and info, hopefully I will get it made someday!
Penny
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 PM

I'm glad I came across this.. I had started a dresden and ran into the same problem.. I set the project aside... maybe now I will try it again... thanks for the tips every one!!