Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dresden plate >

dresden plate

dresden plate

Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 AM

Hi
I'm wanting to know if anyone can help me out with the dimensions of a dresden plate wedge for an 18 inch block.
I'm wanting to attempt the dresden plate block. I have seen the 12 inch template but not the 18 inch. What would the top and bottom measurement be? I'd really appreciate the help. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by debbie10
Hi
I'm wanting to know if anyone can help me out with the dimensions of a dresden plate wedge for an 18 inch block.
I'm wanting to attempt the dresden plate block. I have seen the 12 inch template but not the 18 inch. What would the top and bottom measurement be? I'd really appreciate the help. Thank you.
Have never made one, but I'm sure someone on here can help.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

How many blades do you want to use? You can take a piece of paper and fold it until you have all the divisions or blades you want and then see what size they are. You can make a template from template plastic if you want.

I have also taken a compass and drawn a circle on paper.
Then divide it out til you have all the blades you want. Cut out the blade of paper and add a 1/4" seam allowance to each side and then use that as a pattern to cut out a template on cardboard. Not reall hard. You can use any curved surface like a glass or a DVD to get a curved edge on top or you can make it pointed like a friendship circle.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM

Thank you so much for the help. I will try that. I was watching the quilt show, Quilt in a Day about the Dresden Plate. Eleanor Burns was showing how to make a 12 inch block and an 18 inch block. She said to make the 12 inch block, you cut fabric 4 1/4 x 9 inches, then cut your wedges. She used her plastic dresden ruler. I think she got 4 across. The only thing she said about the 18 inch block is that you cut the fabric 6 inches x ?.
She didn't mention the width. Would it still be 9 inches ? I wonder if the wedges for the 18" block are the same size as the 12 inch block, just longer but not wider. I hope I made sense. What would the top width and the bottom width be of the wedge?
Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 AM

I don't know why if u followed the same lines as the 12 inch blade and simply made it longer it would not work.

I'm going to give it a try