Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dumb applique question >

Dumb applique question

Dumb applique question

Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM

I'm a fusible gal all the way! I have done lots of appliqué quilts over the years and most I have used fusible. I would worry the glue stick would stretch the piece out of shape a bit.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad others could learn, too. Washable glue stick I understand and sprays, unfortunately, are not appreciated by my asthma. Boy, that cuts down on options! So, my remaining question is...so I lay the teddy bears on fusible web...and iron it to the bears with a sheet protector for the iron...right? Or do you cut the shape out of the fusible before ironing? If the fusible isn't cut to shape, then it's going to stick to...the appliqué' cover sheet? See, I'm still figuring this out. Guess my limited brain can figure out the glue sticks, so will go with that, although the fusible would probably give a nicer edge. Again, thanks for the help. :-)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 AM

Yes I agree a washable glue stick
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 AM

I'm following this thread with my own "stupid applique" question. I needle-turn applique and have not gotten up the courage yet to try machine applique, which is what I'm assuming you are discussing. Do you not have to turn under an edge? After fusing, do you satin stitch the edge to prevent raveling? This requires stabilizer, right?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
I'm following this thread with my own "stupid applique" question. I needle-turn applique and have not gotten up the courage yet to try machine applique, which is what I'm assuming you are discussing. Do you not have to turn under an edge? After fusing, do you satin stitch the edge to prevent raveling? This requires stabilizer, right?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
You're right, I'm discussing machine appliqué. So far, I use the buttonhole stitch to machine appliqué and find that I don't really need to turn under the edges. The buttonhole stitch can be changed to different widths/lengths on my machine. The size of the stitch depends on the size of the appliqué, and I haven't had any problem with raveling. Satin stitch and I don't get along (yet) for appliqué. Generally, stabilizer is recommended, and I am starting to use it just on the outer edge of the appliqué with the middle of the appliqué cut out. Then the appliqué feels softer. Hope that helps!

Last edited by coopah; 12-28-2012 at 07:16 PM.