Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dumb Question here.. What is a jelly Roll..

I had made several quilts w/ jelly rolls & no matter how careful I was - had a stretch problem. At my quilt store it was mentioned to me that sew from the top down on one strip and then from the bottom up on the next one and guess what - it really helped!

Blog Entries
    I need to add this to my notebook for future reference. This is great info that I did not know either. Thanks to everyone.

Blog Entries
    When i took a class to make the star spin quilt, the teacher said for us to cut out all our strips, and then flip everyone over, so you were taking the opposite end of the strip for each one sewed, same idea.

It is 35"to 45"strips of different color patterns of material about 2" or 3" wide. Each jelly roll colors blend with each other. they are great and you can use them in so many different ways. I use them to make some totes and purses in wild color combinations. try them you can create so many things besides quilts. barbara Pa. .

Quote Originally Posted by Peggi
    I had made several quilts w/ jelly rolls & no matter how careful I was - had a stretch problem. At my quilt store it was mentioned to me that sew from the top down on one strip and then from the bottom up on the next one and guess what - it really helped!
    I learned, thankfully quickly in my quilting career, that when you sew, you can't sew all in one direction or you get WaVeS in your fabric! I was doing a bargello and "whoooops"! It had waves bigger than a tsunami! Luckily I took it, along with my embarrassment, back to class, and had to laugh at myself.
    Think about it......sew a long seam, it stretches......sew the next seam in the same directions, it stretches a bit more. Sigh....I saved the quilt by cutting any flat piece I could find with a six inch square and then used the squares to make a different quilt. I even saved a piece of the original strrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttched bargello to remind me! One up......second, down....third up.....fourth, down ...etc....

A jelly role is 2 1/2 inches; a honey bun is 1 1/2 inches.

Blog Entries
    The best part of using precuts, like jelly rolls, honey buns, turnovers, charm paks and layer cakes is that all the fabrics in them are from the same fabric line, so they all coordinate. Just add one of the fabrics by the yard and your project is automatically one where all the colours and patterns work together.
    Just remember to shake the daylights out of them before you start using them to get rid of all the edge lint, just hold the whole pak and shake it until the 'dandruff' stops. :)

Quilters Dictionary sounds great, just Leave some words that are used when quilting out.

Charm packs 5" X 5" are usually sold by fabric manufacturer's (but not always)
    But for us old timer quilters, a nickel squares are still 5" X 5" whenever we share...and there are even a couple books/patterns that call for nickel squares...

Also forgot "crumbs" everything smaller than 1" x 1" when not a "string" lol

You can also get a lot of stretching when you press seams on a stripped piece. Say you have sewn three strips together, alternating the direction of your seams...and then you take it to your ironing board and you lay the whole piece down horizontally...of course so it fits on the ironing board all at once. But you do a dis-service to yourself...because most people really iron...pressing hard and not lifting the iron up & down....so they iron back and forth - back and forth along the seams....And when they pick it up, it looks like a rainbow. Try placing the sewn piece vertically on your ironing board and lifting the iron up and down - up and down - up and down as you "press"...
    What a difference this can make in your sewn seams for a newbie. Good luck and never be afraid to ask....you will get a lot of wonderful information on this board!

i thought the 5"x45" was called a Fat Roll.

Jelly Rolls are 21/2inches wide the honey buns are 11/2inches wide. Most have 40 stripsin them.

Quote Originally Posted by maidmirian
    Thanks for asking the question. I didn't know what a jelly roll was. Now to find out how to used them.
    There are many patterns out there for strip pieced quilts. A jelly roll is 2 3/4 yards. I am working on one right now. I changed the pattern a little bit, but I bought a material that would go with the roll I was using so everything goes together. I also am adding paino keys as an additional border to use up the rest of the jelly roll.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    OK I know its a roll of strips of 44 length but what size strips are they and how many strips are there on the roll?? I've seen tutorials on using them that are pretty neat..
    Thanks so much for asking this question! I learned a lot when reading the posts from our expert quilters on this Board. Also thanks to those who advised not to sew all in one direction. I did not know that, and it will sure help when I get around to using my 2 Bali Pops. :thumbup: :D

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    WOW you guys are quick!!!!

1.5= Honey Buns
    2.5- Jelly rolls.

Great.. thanks..
    I believe that there are now ones that are 5" wide and called Dessert Rolls. Learned that at my LQS. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Has anyone mentioned Turnovers? THose are pre-cut triangles.

Just a note: Oftentimes if you become buddies with a quilt shop owner, she will cut jelly rolls specifically for you! Right now I am completing what is called a "Jelly Bargelly," which is a Bargello made from a hand-picked jelly roll of 17 different fabrics (3 of each), so my "customized" jelly roll is the standard 2 1/2 inches, but it includes 51 strips. The colors graduate from light to dark.

Hope this helps1

So u see "luvtooquilt" not only was this not a dumb question, it was one that helped us all :)

So how do you put the jelly roll together. The one that I have had a long time is still lying here and no instructions on how too put it together. I have a lot of fat quarters givien too me for my birthday and I have no idea what you do with them either. I know, I know yall think I must be the dumbest person on earth but I have not been around quilters since I was a child. I am the only one in my family that has even decided too take up the hobby. All the ladies that quilted in my family have been gone for many years.

tHERE WILL NEVER BE "INSTRUCTIONS" FOR A JELLY ROLL! A jelly roll is simply strips of fabric already cut for you. YOU use them as you decide.

As an example, suppose you piecing a quilt that calls for stiprs 2 1/2 X 6. All you'd have to do is cut a 6" piece from one of the strips in your jelly roll. Or suppose you needed 2 1/2" squares. The jelly roll (normally) is already cut to 2 1/2" strips, so you'd just cut 2 1/2 piece to get 2 1/2" squares! There are "Jelly Roll' books out there, specifically with a slant, obviously, to using the strips in your jelly roll to create beautiful things.

Very simply put, look at all pre-packaged cut fabric bundles as simply fabric where some of the work of cutting has already been done for you. I hope this helps! Happy quilting!

Ladies...I'm so glad I joined this forum. I read all the mail that comes in and I learn something new EVERY TIME. I don't always write a comment because my fingers are so sore from clicking on all the links that you post. Thank you..thank you...thank you sooo much. mem

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mem123
    Ladies...I'm so glad I joined this forum. I read all the mail that comes in and I learn something new EVERY TIME. I don't always write a comment because my fingers are so sore from clicking on all the links that you post. Thank you..thank you...thank you sooo much. mem
    you too huh... Think I broke all my fingernails already..

Thanks everyone for helping me answer my question.. You ladies are the best!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peggi
    That is what I needed to know before I quilted the Teddy Bears Picnic quilt. now it is sitting until I feel like taking out some of the stitching then quilt over the problem sashing to hide it.
    Mem123 I agree with you. I am always reading the topics almost to the end and I a so far behind in reading all the
    Quilting board has including the magazine ones too. This board has been helping me out with my panic attacks--just reading and interacting with you has helped greatly. THANK YOU EVERYONE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2