Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dumb question maybe >

Dumb question maybe

Dumb question maybe

Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Okay guys, since all my work has been pretty much self taught, and I've never worked with any other quilter either, my question pertains to marking the topside for quilting. I realize that with free motion, you wouldn't be doing that, but otherwise, if you are going to be working with specific designs how do you mark your quilt top?

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Gads, I've done it so many different ways, that it is hard to say just one.

1] I used the Golden Threads paper (you cn either get it at a LQS or online) and traced out my design, pinned it to the quilt and sewed. then I had to tear off the paper and make sure no paper was left behind.

2] Used wash away stabilizer, quilted, spritzed it and removed it. Once I actually did wash it away as my h ands were sore.

3] Used an air pen to mark the design and quilted it. This method is best for small areas at a time - or a small project.

4] Traced the design on regular paper and then just free hand quilted referring to this design.

5] If I knew I was going to wash the quilt after I finished, then I have sometimes used a washaway pencil.

6] I haven't really tried Pounce yet.

Have fun.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM

I've used all the different ways the AliKat mentioned. Plus I've used slivers of soap (ordinary grocery or drug store soaps, not fancy type soaps) to mark lines on quilt tops. White soap on dark colors, colored soap on white/light fabrics. I've had no problems since I don't press too hard.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:37 AM

I have used the Pounce on 2 small quilts and liked it pretty good. I haven't tried anything else because I FMQ.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks for your replies. I will keep these in mind for future reference. I always wondered how in the world you make the design come out right, especially on the borders.
I hope that makes sense with what I'm trying to say...

It seems to me that if the design was on the quilt top it would be easier to make it come out right, versus using a pantogram.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for all of these cool tips!

Originally Posted by AliKat
Gads, I've done it so many different ways, that it is hard to say just one.

1] I used the Golden Threads paper (you cn either get it at a LQS or online) and traced out my design, pinned it to the quilt and sewed. then I had to tear off the paper and make sure no paper was left behind.

2] Used wash away stabilizer, quilted, spritzed it and removed it. Once I actually did wash it away as my h ands were sore.

3] Used an air pen to mark the design and quilted it. This method is best for small areas at a time - or a small project.

4] Traced the design on regular paper and then just free hand quilted referring to this design.

5] If I knew I was going to wash the quilt after I finished, then I have sometimes used a washaway pencil.

6] I haven't really tried Pounce yet.

Have fun.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Thank-you for posting this question. I have wondered this many times.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:41 PM

And down here at the low tech end:

I use crayola washable markers. That's pretty low end. I know I'll soak wash my quilts when I'm done so using washable markers is not a big deal. There is a large BUT coming up:

BUT I buy Crayola Washable Markers 2-3-4 boxes at a time so hopefully they will all be from the same manufacturing batch. I test one of every color (only 8 so it isn't difficult) and keep only the colors that washed out completely and give the rest to a third grade teacher I know who is happy to have whatever colors I don't want.

I found Moda fabric to be the one most likely to grab the Caryola Washable Marker and not let it go so now I rinse Moda in hot water and let it drip dry before using.

I think part of your question was about matching up corners and stencils and I think I have some stencils that came with fancy corners and you somehow got a chance to fudge the long lines or the fancy corners to adjust the corners? That ring a bell with anyone?

Jois
Old 05-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

I use a pounce pad
Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 PM

I use plain old tissue paper. I trace the design onto the paper with a pencil and then pin onto the quilt and stitch thru the paper. Then it is very easy to remove as the stitching has perforated the paper. Angled sharp tweezers are helpful in getting the paper pieces out of corners, etc. One item of note with this method tho. Be careful when using this method on light colored fabric as I have found that the pencil from the marking will transfer onto the thread (via the needle) and into the stitching making it look darker than desired. I have begun (after learning this the hard way!) to use colored tissue paper and white pencil to trace for use on light fabrics. There has been no transfer of the tissue paper color onto the fabric. So far, so good.