Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: dumb question

dumb question

I have another dumb question I was in Walmart today just looking around and seen some fabric for 1.50 on a bolt with a blue band around them. I assume that the 1.50 was per yard . do you have to buy the whole bolt or can you get just a yard or two There was no one there to tell me

I just bought some at that price and it was per yard and I only bought the amount I wanted.

Blog Entries
    No dumb questions on here. Walmart has some great material in Jacksonville, FL. They also have a table with some on sale $1.50 a yd or $2.00 a yd I think it was. You have to feel it, hold up to the light, you don't want to invest in thin material which will rip or show other colors thru it. Fat quarters are .79 compared to local JoAnn's where its gone to about 2.99 now. Guess this is the way of the world. Happy quilting.

Thank you BLAP I wasn't sure if they could break the seal

Make sure to check the fiber content, if it says "unknown fiber content" don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
    Make sure to check the fiber content, if it says "unknown fiber content" don't buy it.
    I agree. Our store recently got two pallets of the $1.50-$2.00 a yard fabric. The fabric prints are cute but all that they have out at that cost say Unknown fiber content. I won't buy it. It is an obvious blend of some kind, just not sure which kind.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

We must have 5-6 WalMarts where I live, and NOT ONE of them has fabric in any shape or form! You guys are lucky...sigh.....
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

the blue band is just a band to keep the fabric from coming unrolled.....and all fabrics on the bolt are sold by the yard or similar increments.

We are waiting impatently for our Wal Mart to be built about six miles from us!! Now the closest is 20 miles away. They have broken ground (after 10 yrs of promises) about two months ago and are suppose to be ready this summer! It will be a Super and I heard all the new stores will have fabric department! Can't wait!!

That "unknown" content also will ravel, fray and fall apart.

Blog Entries
    The other day, I was in a Walmart for the first time in ages. The $1.50 yd fabric was either polyester or unknown and the $2 yd stuff that was 100% cotton was so thin you could read a newspaper through it. Now, that being said, I bought several yards of the $2 stuff because I wanted to try a pattern and didn't want to mess up my good fabric. Sadly, it was so thin and flimsy I had to spray starch the heck out of it and I'm not even sure it will hold up to washing for a charity blanket. It was not easy to work with.