Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dumb question!

Blog Entries
    ok here goes. i did a really dumb thing a while back and left a rotary cutting mat in my car and it is warped. i cannot bring myself to throw it away! is it possible to salvage it in any way or can it be put to another use?

Blog Entries
    oh no, that is terrible!

I have heard of some people - putting it out in the sun (again) to reheat it - then place heavy objects on it to flatten it out.

I've also heard of others who have trimmed the mat down into a usable size (e.g. the portion that isn't warped).

And... I've heard of others who have trimmed it down into circles then placed the circle on top of a lazy suzan to make trimming finished squares easier.

Having said that all - I haven't done any of those.

Good luck.

I've heard all that KiwiQuilter has heard - but haven't had to try any of them. Go to the top of the page here and do search - there's been other talk about this on the board - you should be able to get LOTS of ideas there!

bkb
    No such thing as a dumb question....but my kids have plenty of smart answers! the mat will flatten with the swun and weights but I wouldn't trust the ruler parts may be distorted.

bkb
    Sun not swun sorry

Pam
    I would go with the sun thing first, but it may distort your lines, just don't use them! If your car is dark, you may want to consider leaving it on the roof for an afternoon, all toasty warm and getting flatter by the moment. Just make sure that you leave it in a perfectly flat place to cool.

I tossed mine after I ironed on it (and you thought you were dumb???) but I heard some cut theirs down for inserts for tote bags bottoms. I would have tried that if I hadn't got rid of the darn thing.

Banned
    Put it back in the car but this time turn it over the other way and maybe it will unwarp. :wink:

Blog Entries
    thanks everyone! great suggestions!

Blog Entries
    I glued mine down to a piece of wood. Secure with clamps and weights (all over) until it dries.

Good luck

Blog Entries
    I cut one large one into different size mats. I use one for mouse pad, works great. I use one for the kitchen as a utility mat. It washes just fine. I like the idea of using the old mats for tote bottoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbound
    I tossed mine after I ironed on it (and you thought you were dumb???) but I heard some cut theirs down for inserts for tote bags bottoms. I would have tried that if I hadn't got rid of the darn thing.
    Using as tote inserts is a great idea.

Blog Entries
    I did the same thing. I used a piece of muslin to protect it and used my iron. Then I put it between the box spring and mattress for a few days. I can still cut on it but the ruler is off. Don't ask me how I know!

Blog Entries
    I would try setting it back out in the sun upside down and see if that will unwarp it

What size is it? I have turned on my oven to 250, shut it off, and put mat on cookie sheet for a few minutes. It worked, but it was not a HUGE mat.

My husband fixed mine. I had tried sitting it in the sun with heavy books on it, but I got creases where the books were. He said my mistake was putting several objects on it instead of one big flat thing.

So he set it in the sun, on the hot patio concrete and put a heavy piece of plywood type stuff on it. I forgot how long he left it there...at least several hours and maybe overnight.

It is fine now. I remember googling the problem and finding many solutions. You might try that also.

It might make good templates.

I had purchased a large one one time. I forgot where, it was shipped to me ROLLED UP!!! Can you belive that. I could not do anything with it. I called the company and they offered to send a new one. I said, I will shop else where, just give me a refund. They appologised up and down.
    I ended up going to town and getting one in my local quilt shop!
    I am a happy camper.
    I have heard though, like the others, putting it out in the sun with something heavy on it. The gal that mentioned the ply wood sounds like a great idea.
    Rememeber... No question is ever dumb!

Use it to make templates.

I did the same thing and mine was new made me sick

I wish I could say that I have never done that. I accidentally ironed mine as well. I will try some of the suggestions here. Thanks for asking the "smart" question so I could learn as well.

what a great idea---i never thought of that.

Blog Entries
    I did the same thing and ended up buying a new one. Recently someone posted that she put it in the oven on low heat and used a flat surface and heavy books to weigh it down for cooling. According to that member, the mat went flat again. You may want to do a search on cutting mats.

I gave a really large mat to my Mom a few years ago when she showed an interest in quilting, but she only made one quilt before losing the passion. She recently gave it back to me, but had stored it under her bed with half of it on top of a small box so it warped. Thanks for the hot-car-in-the-sun idea, I will try that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast