Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Duvet Covers? >

Duvet Covers?

Duvet Covers?

Old 10-24-2016, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
What kind of closing would you make for a duvet cover? Some just have snaps at the top or velcro (store bought) and I don't like either. Would making an envelope flap and using buttons work, or something else?
When I made one, I did the envelope style at the top. It seemed to work well. I also made button holes on the other end, sewing buttons on the duvet to help keep it straight and together.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 PM

I've made several duvet covers. The one I have now is a pieced top (using a Kaffe Fassett pattern). I faced it with cheap flannel and quilted the flannel and the top together. Then I used that sandwich as one piece for the top. I used buttons to fasten it, but I won't do that again. I used to use velcro and liked that much better. Plus it's easier to do.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
I am attempting to finish my quilt top that I just made for our bed into a Duvet Cover. I am almost finished with the top when I was informed that he did not want to part with his Duvet! So now I am wondering what to do. I don't want to add a lot of weight to the Duvet but I don't want to leave the seams unprotected. someone suggested to quilt it as if I was making a Texas Summer Quilt, I have never heard of a Texas Summer Quilt?

Since this thread had already been started on Duvet covers I thought I would ask here, any thoughts?

Thanks Mary

I am not positive, but I think a Texas Summer Quilt is one made with just the top and backing....no batting.

Dina
Old 10-24-2016, 07:58 PM

Thank You Dina, that is what I thought. I have decided to use very thin Muslin and quilt it then a sheet for the other side of the Duvet cover. I will try and post a picture when I get it finished. I think I will use snaps to fasten it, we have that on the bed now and they seem to do fine. the hardest part I have is after I wash the cover getting it back on the duvet with out having to crawl inside it to get corners to match up!