Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DWR Fabric Selection - Advice Wanted >

DWR Fabric Selection - Advice Wanted

DWR Fabric Selection - Advice Wanted

Old 02-02-2023, 06:14 AM

Default DWR Fabric Selection - Advice Wanted

I'm going to make a double wedding ring quilt for my daughter's who is getting married in June. She and her fiancé selected fabric for the block. I made a sample block after watching many YouTube videos and figured out how this block comes together. I want to use a high quality 100% cotton fabric for the inside section of the arc and the center of the block.

Do any of you have a favorite white, 100% cotton fabric that you can suggest? I've tried various brands (Mona, Kaufman, etc.) and have a few I like but I want this quilt to be special and thought you might have some insight as to be best quality of fabric available.

Any and all tips and suggestions are appreciated. I've attached a photo of my sample block.

Sande
Quilting from Quechee, VT
Attached Thumbnails img_0430.jpeg  

Last edited by Sande; 02-02-2023 at 06:16 AM. Reason: forgot to upload photo
Old 02-02-2023, 06:48 AM

Have you thought instead of using a solid white to use maybe a white on white just to jazz it up a bit? It won't take away from the other fabrics either. I rarely ever use a solid in any color but have gone to a blender fabric instead as my go to fabric.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:11 AM

I agree w/Snooze. I rarely use solid white. Some how T OT looks softer to me and adds more interest to almost ANY quilt block.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Pretty block! I like to feel my fabric in person before buying so I can’t recommend a brand of white. Bonnie Hunter found a gorgeous DWR in her travels at Quiltville site today. You might take a look at it to see what a yellow background looks like.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:15 AM

umm...how are you planning on quilting it? If fancy custom, a plain white would really show off the quilting.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Have you thought instead of using a solid white to use maybe a white on white just to jazz it up a bit? It won't take away from the other fabrics either. I rarely ever use a solid in any color but have gone to a blender fabric instead as my go to fabric.
I agree with the suggestion of a white on white. Unless you are going to do detailed quilting in the center section, the white on white would give the open spaces some interest without distracting fro the wedding ring fabrics.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:12 PM

Nice picture. I will never -- so I say again now--do a DWR but the one Momma put together was very small pieces for the ring bands. I like the one you have and am using 2 (cheater) blocks for quilts for 2 little girls as the center for their names and dates of birth, my name and the date I gifted it to them. BUT I would use their favorite color for the plain sections to make more meaningful for them. Would it work for yuo to do several in his favorite and the same number in her favorite color?