Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • An easier way to thread a needle >
  • An easier way to thread a needle

• An easier way to thread a needle

Old 05-17-2021, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the help. I will be trying this!
    Old 05-17-2021, 12:39 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    👋Quilt E...there is a nap to thread...rub your floss across the space above your lips. If it feels like its a little rough you are going against the grain. It should go with the grain as you thread the needle.

Ps. I hope to email you soon...lots going on here.
    hhhmmmm!! Now that's a new one for me. Will have to give 'er a try and see if I notice a difference.
    OKSGlad ... Look forward to hearing/seeing from you when you get a chance.
    I know it's a busy time of the year for you!
    Old 05-18-2021, 10:25 AM
    bj

It’s kinda weird for me. I check the grain of the thread and moisten the end of the thread and that helps a lot. But even though I am very right handed, I can only thread a needle left handed, unless the needle has a large eye. I’ve been sewing for 55 years and it’s always been true! Go figure! (0:
    Old 05-18-2021, 10:51 AM

I use beeswax any time I am hand stitching applique or quilting. I can't say I have tried to needle the thread though is does sound like something I would like to try. Thanks for sharing this tip. I will be giving it a try.
    Old 05-18-2021, 04:23 PM
    Power Poster

Something I learned almost 50 years ago as a beginning 4-H er was to thread the needle off the spool, then cut it off the spool. It will be with the grain every time.
    Old 05-18-2021, 05:19 PM

have any of you ladies thread lots of needles at one time. thread using a needle threader, except put 5 or 6 needles on the wire and pull the wire threader through all needles at once. then you can pull one needle and thread from the spool at a time. One threaded needle and 5 more needles waiting to be used, but left on the spool until needed
    Old 05-18-2021, 05:33 PM

I used to do something similar, but now eyes are not good enough. I found Lisa Bongean's method and it works great for me; I've used it for many different weights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNJJBnluGJs

Not long before she passed, my MIL was no longer waking up. Her daughter and I were sitting with her one day, and Ma brought her thumb and forefinger almost to her mouth, then put them next to the thumb and forefinger of her other hand. Betty wondered what on earth Ma was doing. I told Betty that, in her mind, Ma was threading a needle, just as she had done thousands of times.
    Old 05-18-2021, 05:46 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by merryme
    have any of you ladies thread lots of needles at one time. thread using a needle threader, except put 5 or 6 needles on the wire and pull the wire threader through all needles at once. then you can pull one needle and thread from the spool at a time. One threaded needle and 5 more needles waiting to be used, but left on the spool until needed
    Yes I have!
    Old 05-18-2021, 06:39 PM

I've been really frustrated with threading my needles. I will definitely try the beeswax. Thanks for the tip!
    Old 05-19-2021, 05:40 PM

I don’t even bother trying to thread hand needles anymore without a threader. Love the Clover threader for straw needles (although I sometimes have issues with even seeing the eye and even the best threader won’t thread the point) for hand applique.