Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easiest fix for a split seam after washing? >

Easiest fix for a split seam after washing?

Easiest fix for a split seam after washing?

Old 01-02-2017, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I think I would try to tuck it in to cover the seam and zig zag over the seam. May not look the best but would keep it from tearing away any more. I would do all the seams like that just in case there are other seams that may pull apart. I would then go back and quilt closer all over the quilt.
Next she needs to buy quilting fabric.
Although some battings say it can be quilted up to 10" apart I never quilt more than 3 - 4" apart. Mostly I FMQ.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:18 AM

I like what Tartan suggests. Before starting, I would take some FrayCheck along the seam before even starting the repair so that no more ravels out.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I agree with TArtan and jingle. I've made a couple quilts that called for 10" spacing for quilting. The most I've done is 5" spacing. I'm not one for really dense quilting but also not one for 10" max. Looks like a Walmart cover and many of those you have to be really careful how it's laundered.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I agree with TArtan and jingle.
I agree with them also. You can't start fixing that seam until you fix the edges of the fabric. It needs major help.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:28 AM

That is the reason I never tried for that scant quarter inch I always wondered who and why did anyone ever come up with that as I have used the quarter inch for years and it has always worked and they are skinny seams so why even make them more so oh well just my thought.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:41 AM

Would really be great to know how original poster resolved this, with all of the advice provided.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:11 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will share them with my friend and we will tackle it together. Will certainly let you know how it turns out. I told my friend to not be discouraged. There are many lessons learned by this and there will be the possibility if an interesting "design element"!
Old 01-02-2017, 02:57 PM

Nancy zieman sewing with Nancy sells a tape with sticky in the middle and peel away paper on each side. you peel away one side and place it on the one part with the edge right on the sewing line. Then bring the other side up to the tape an peel away the other paper. Carefully fold under and match the edge to the sewing line. Then you could carefully hand stitch the opening closed. The tape would reinforce it some for future use.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:39 PM

Been working on going blind and getting smarter by viewing tutorials about my new sewing machine. There are a few built-in stitches made to darn/join problems like this. One of them is really extra-nifty. The completed stitch actually looks as though it replicates the split fabric. And the look can vary from fabric type to fabric type. Just for fun, before moving any farther on the fix, maybe check to see if there is a stitch like that on your friend's machine. I have used it and was pleasantly surprised.

A.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:13 PM

FIX UPDATE: my friend and I did the fix today for the icky seam. Fray checked all the edges. We took a piece of the blue flower print, tucked under a 1/4 inch on the triangular sides and tacked it down over the existing patch. A half inch of that print fabric went under the white border print. The white border print we just tucked under an 1/8 of an inch or so. Hand sewed all 3 sides down. Looks great! Unfortunately, we found a few other smaller spots that came undone so just hand sewed those as well. Her Mama will have strict instructions not to wash the quilt. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg